Pixma Models

puckcycler

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can someone tell me which Pixma MP models allow the use of third-party ink cartridges?

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A short list of MP recent models using the BCI-3&6 non-chipped cartridges are the MP730,750,760, and 780.

uransutar inkjet

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does the compatible Canon CLI-8 Series need a chip resetter to transfer the original chip to the compatibles? Or just need disable the ink indicator on the printer to make the cartridges work?

Thanks!

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Its my understanding that the new CLI-5&8 clone cartridges merely offer a machined in pocket to hold the chip that came out of the OEM CLI-5&8 cartridges. In no way is the chip reset---the chip merely is transferred from one cartridge to another.---and no real benefit is offered---one could refill a OEM CLI-5&8 cartridge far cheaper---and either way---the user will still have to go through the various nag screens on the chipped printer itself.

But for that set of users who are refill ink phobic---it does offer somewhat of a no touch ink crutch---but you still have to be mechanically inclined enough to cut out the original chip from the OEM cartridge---and transfer it to the clone cartridge.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Osage said:
But for that set of users who are refill ink phobic---it does offer somewhat of a no touch ink crutch---but you still have to be mechanically inclined enough to cut out the original chip from the OEM cartridge---and transfer it to the clone cartridge.
Hint: do one chip transfer at a time on a like for like basis too... Mixing up the chips isn't a major problem but it's generally better to get the magenta chip on the new magenta cart..

Personally I'd recommend refilling your original though :)