Pixma MG 5550 have a problem with matte paper ?

BlackWhite

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma MG5550
Dear All,

It seems as my Canon Pixma MG 5550 has a problem with matte photo paper.
With glossy photo paper the results are crisp. Whenever I use matte paper the ink bleeds horribly (examples below).

I purchased it brand new circa 2015, with genuine Canon ink, and the problem was always there.

Attached below are the printing results with different settings:

#0 - The reference print. Actual glossy paper, with the printing settings to "glossy photo paper". The result is sharp.
#1 - Used matte paper. Printing settings to "Plain paper".
#2 - Matte paper. Settings to "Matte photo paper".
#3 - Matte paper. Settings to "Glossy photo paper".

Does anyone has this issue ?

Attachments

• +0- glossy photo paper + gloss paper settings.jpg
    +0- glossy photo paper + gloss paper settings.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 113
  • +1- matte paper + plain paper settings.jpg
    +1- matte paper + plain paper settings.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 96
  • +2- matte paper + matte paper settings.jpg
    +2- matte paper + matte paper settings.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 89
  • +3- matte paper + glossy paper setings.jpg
    +3- matte paper + glossy paper setings.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 103

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
What brands of ink and photo paper are you using? Canon OEM or?

Image #0 reference print, glossy photo paper. This is OK and shows the printer, ink and paper is OK. The glossy photo paper setting makes the printer use the CLI-551 dye (photo) black ink.

Image #1 matte paper, media setting plain paper. The plain paper setting makes the printer use the PGI-550 pigment ink. This ink is only suitable for plain paper and is totally unsuitable for photo paper.

Image #2 and #3 Matte paper, photo paper settings. As image #0 shows the printer and ink is OK, the problem must be caused by the matte photo(?) paper. I suggest to try another brand of matte photo paper.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I suspect that the poor results using matte paper settings are because the printer uses dye black and not pigment black. Dye black on glossy paper performs as expected, but on matte paper gives dull images, lacking in contrast.
I haven’t a service manual for the MG-5550, but in the manual of the IP5300, it’s clearly stated that pigment black ink is used only for plain paper settings. Never on photo papers, be it glossy, luster or matte
On these four photos, even the one printed on plain paper, in spite of noticeable ink bleeding, looks a bit better than the two photos at right, printed with dye black.

Last edited:

BlackWhite

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma MG5550
Thanks for your contributions.

PeterBJ wrote:
"What brands of ink and photo paper are you using? Canon OEM or?"

The glossy and matte paper are "generic" ones (no brand, sold in bulk). But even though, the result in the glossy is sharp.
... and with matte it's blurry, even with genuine Canon inks.

The Hat wrote:
"Post up a nozzle check here to see if all the colours are clog free, I suspect the pigment black has an issue.."

Here it is.
Maybe the pigment black head has a problem, but it is used only for text documents, isn' it ?

Which brings us to the point: photo on matte paper :)

If I understand well:

1) When the printer is instructed to print text, it uses pigment black
2) when it is instructed to print a photo, it uses dye black
3) (according to Artur5) dye black is ok with glossy paper, but bad with matte paper

So, there is no mean to have a sharp result with MG 5550 and matte paper ?

Attachments

• IMG_20221016_0001.jpg
    IMG_20221016_0001.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 104

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So, there is no mean to have a sharp result with MG 5550 and matte paper ?
Examining your nozzle print tells all, the pigment black nozzles are out of alignment, as to how that happened is anyone guess, because you say your only using OEM inks !, that usually happens when the wrong ink is used in the printer..

So you’re not going to get good prints on matte paper with the print head like that, I am afraid you going to need a new print head to cure your problems, no way out..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The pigment black nozzles are damaged and this makes the printer useless for printing text documents on plain paper. But it can still be used as a photo printer.

The media setting determines if pigment black or dye black is used. When plain paper is selected pigment black ink is used. When all other media, matte photo paper included dye black ink is used.

The glossy and matte paper are "generic" ones (no brand, sold in bulk). But even though, the result in the glossy is sharp.
... and with matte it's blurry, even with genuine Canon inks.

The glossy photo print shows the photo printing is OK so the matte photo paper is bad or not suitable for your printer. I have used matte photo paper, Sihl brand bought at Aldi, on a Canon printer without problems with the dye inks.

If you decide to change the printhead then buy it from a regular dealer of canon spare parts, For instance this. Don't buy claimed to be new or refurbished printheads from China.

BTW if you need to print a text document on plain paper you can do it by selecting matte photo paper as the printing medium. This will use the dye black instead of the pigment black to print the document. Printing will be slower though and the print will not be water resistant.

Last edited:

BlackWhite

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma MG5550
Thanks for your input PeterBJ.

Indeed I tested printing text documents on regular paper by selecting "matte phot paper" on the printer's software menu. The result is excellent.

I was hoping though to use pigemnt ink for my Black&White photo/artwork prints on glossy or matte paper, since it's more durable than dye inks.
What do you think about refilling the black dye cartridge with pigemnt ink ?
Isn't this damageable for the dye nozzle or dye printhead ?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The nozzles in the PGBK section of the printhead are much larger than the nozzles in the dye section of the printhead. So you can use dye ink in the PGBK cartridge, but you cannot use pigment ink in the dye BK cartridge, The pigment particles will clog the nozzles.