Pixma iP6600D Problem

Diver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem with a Pixma iP6600D for the last two days.
Suddenly it stopped printing red colours .
I checked the inks but nothing was empty.
I made a nozzle test page and I got this (replace # with h , I can't post the link)

#ttp://imageshack.us/a/img827/5238/8jis.jpg

I have made several cleaning procedures but it's still the same.
Does anyone have any idea about what is wrong with my printer ?
Thanks in advance,

Manolis

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Manolis
When a colour goes missing very suddenly then it is usually a sign of an electrical problem.

Please dont print anything other than nozzle prints till you can resolve your situation,
it maybe already too late but never say never.

To check if its an ink flow problem first change the magenta cartridge for a new one,
then run a normal head clean and another nozzle print and check it against the one you have already.

What type of cartridges are you using aftermarket or OEM and are you refilling them,
that so do for a start..

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I also have the iP6600D, along with several other Canon printers. I see a faint indication of magenta on your nozzle test, and suspect one of two deep cleaning cycles may help. If not there is considerable information on this forum for extra ordinary print head cleaning and purge pump tests that you may want to search for.

If you are not already aware, there is a service mode for this printer that will give a different type of nozzle check along with other useful information about your printer, such as waste ink pad saturation (D=xxx.x) as a percent, and total pages printed, etc..

This is how you get into the service mode:
Turn the printer power off.
Hold down the red Stop/Restart button in the lower right of the control panel.
Without releasing the red button, press and hold down the On/Off button at the upper left side of the control panel.
Keep holding the on/off button down while you remove your finger from the red Stop/Restart button. Now press this Stop/Restart button twice while you are still holding down the On/Off button. Now release both buttons. The printer will go through some activity to enter the Service Mode. When the LCD shows Idle press the red Stop/Restart button once and then press the On/Off button once. In a short time (few seconds) the printer will print a different nozzle test.
When it is completed, press the red Stop/Restart button two times and the On/Off button once again and a detailed report will de printed showing such things as Ink Pad Saturation (D=xxx.x) as a percent full, and total pages printed, etc..

Do not press the red Stop/Restart button more than the one time or two times as discussed above or you could reset things you didnt want to. You can search this forum for more information on how to use the Service Mode and read the print-out.

When you are finished you must turn the printer off using the On/Off button to get out of the Service Mode and back to normal use.

Diver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Brian ,

I don't have a spare cartridge , so I can't perform the test right now.
I use Cannon cartridges and I refill them . I also use a reset device .

One question .
Let's say that magenta cartridge has the problem.
If you saw nozzles test picture ,lines 3,4,8,9 are blank and 1,2,5,6,7, 10 are very fade. Is this normal ?
Thanks

Manolis

Edit: Thanks Tom,
I'll upload the test pages in a few minutes

Diver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, here are the pages from "service mode "
I have scan them on 300dpi and the files are 3Mb each .
The problem is that I can't understand anything :)
You know the way.......just replace "#" with "h"

#ttp://imageshack.us/a/img20/8657/dz3x.jpg
#ttp://imageshack.us/a/img854/8775/i4gy.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Diver

The service manual might be useful in troubleshooting your printer. You find one here: http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/impresoras/iP6600Dsm.pdf

The service manual explains how to interpret the service mode printouts.

This service manual has the same error regarding service mode operations, as many other manuals for the PGI-5/CLI-8 family of Canon printers, so please read this post before attempting service mode operations on your iP6600D: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49752#p49752

This service printout shows a print head failure in my opinion, and only a new print head might bring the printer back to life. But there is a risk that a defective print head can ruin the logic board in the printer, and a defective logic board can ruin a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble.

The picture of the service printout is here, for others to see:

dz3x.jpg

Diver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Peter,

It's sounds bad ............. :-(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is a very small chance that the problems are caused by a bad electric contact in the print head carriage, so you could try cleaning the contact pads on the back of the print head and the contact springs in the print head carriage with a rag moistened with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics contact cleaner.

I found a parts catalog for the printer: http://www.gedat-ersatzteile.de/ex/ip6600d.pdf . The Canon parts number for the print head is QY6-0063-000 if you want to search for one.

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My scanner did not make a good image of my Service Mode nozzle check so I took a picture of it. This will give you some idea of what a working iP6600D printer nozzle check should look like, but mine may not be in perfect tune.
1300_pict0371.jpg