PIXMA IP4300 Max Print Output and Etc.

darthkir

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know;

1. For photo printing how many can the printer/cartridge print before they run out of ink for paper:

- 4 x 6 inches
- 8 x 10 inches

2. How good is the print quality for 4 x 6 photo compared with photo lab?

Thanks in advance.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Are you asking about using a digital camera and your own printer compared to a film camera? Or are you asking about getting your digital prints made from a commercial place like is available in drug stores compared to doing it on your own printer?

Personally, I like the pictures I can produce with my digital camera and printer better than the ones that I see other people producing from their film cameras, mainly because I can adjust the contrast, lighting and cropping, which most people don't bother doing if they use a commercial printing service. You have to actually print and make adustments sometimes to get it perfect.

If you wait until you can get paper on sale and if you reink your own cartridges, you can come out way ahead in terms of cost, mainly because you aren't afraid to experiment and waste lots of prints, but if you are really concerned about efficiency of time and money and just want to get your photos printed, you would probably be better off not buying a printer and going to a lab.

In other words, if you don't have a printer and aren't into computing, stick with the lab, but if you really enjoy spending a lot of time using your computer and want to spend maybe a half hour on some prints, then go with your own printing.

I cannot tell you how many prints you will get from a printer or cartridge, but it is a lot.

darthkir

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just bought an ip4300. I use a dslr and edit my photo on photoshop. I plan to refill my own cartridges (genuine ink is too expensive). I like to experiment and will not mind to waste some papers/ink to get the right result.

I would like to know if i can get print quality on par with lab and cheaper too.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
darthkir, with your DSLR try shooting RAW, use Adobe Camera Raw with your Photoshop which is available from Adobe for download. The learning curve could be steep, but you will be rewarded with a digital darkroom you never imagined. The control you have with RAW files is amazing. Learn to use white balance tools properly. Yes, you can output to a file for the lab but you won't want to after a while.

As to the quality, you're in control now. You won't be disappointed.

darthkir

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
darthkir, with your DSLR try shooting RAW, use Adobe Camera Raw with your Photoshop which is available from Adobe for download. The learning curve could be steep, but you will be rewarded with a digital darkroom you never imagined. The control you have with RAW files is amazing. Learn to use white balance tools properly. Yes, you can output to a file for the lab but you won't want to after a while.

As to the quality, you're in control now. You won't be disappointed.
Hello mikling,

Yes, i don't have problem with RAW editing. My curiosity is only on the printing side. The way you said it, it's better printing on my printer, is it?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The iP4300 uses four cartridges to print photos and I am perfectly happy with the results from my similar iP4000 and MP760 which both use the same printhead. People who are real particular like the "better" results with a strickly photo printer that uses six cartridges (like my iP6000D) and some people like the photo printers that use eight cartridges (like my i9900).

If you have purchased your printer recently enough so that you can return it, I would suggest you buy a package of 8x10 Canon glossy photo paper and take your camera or its memory card into a store that has all three types of printers (4, 6 and 8 photo cartridges) and print the same images in both 8x10 and 4x6 so that you can see if there is any difference that is significant to you. Then you can decide if you want to return your iP4300 for one of the photo printers that use more cartridges.

There definitely is a difference and you will get the best results from the printers with the most cartridges, but it may not be worth the difference to you. Only you can decide.

One other thing to keep in mind: your printer has a fifth cartridge, the wider black that contains pigment ink for use on plain paper. Its advantage is that it won't run or smear if you get the paper wet. The color dye inks will run on practically all plain paper if it gets wet, all except the HP Bright White Inkjet Paper, as far as I can determine.