pixma 1600 feeds multiple pages problem [FIXED]

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hi, I have a problem with pixma ip1600. It feeds multiple pages. I cleaned the rollers with alcohol and the problem still not solved. Sometimes it works right but it's not consistent.

Please help.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You can try one of these suggestions:

Instead of alcohol on the rubber roller, try sanding the rubber lightly with a nail file. Making the rubber paper grabber a little coarser once worked for me on a laser printer I owned.. It was suggested here about 3 yrs ago, but I can't find the thread...it did work, though

Try a heavier weight of paper and see if it does the same thing.

Canon once suggested to me that when I put a wad of paper in the printer, I flip the pages first..worth a try, and good luck!!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I noticed the problem after the printer was not used for some time. It worked great before. I also fixed feed sensor problem before it started to feed multiple papers by cleaning the sensor,

Hmm...

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried your fix. I used sand paper. The roller is non-slip.

Loaded some office paper A4 80gsm. The problem is still there. Sometimes the printer loads whole bunch of paper 6-7 sheets at a time. I even tried 300gsm paper and few office paper sheets. Sometimes the printer loads the 300gsm sheet fine, then again it sometimes loads the 300gsm sheet with 2 80gsm sheets together.

How does a canon paper loading mechanism separates the first page from bunch of pages? I think the problem is there. Not in the loading mechanism, but in page separation mechanism.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile:

Just a question, but do you have the paper feed lever set to [thin] paper? Im not too sure, but i think that having it set to envlopes [thick paper] can cause more paper to be fed. Again, im not sure, but its something to have a look at and rule out.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is no paper feed lever on my printer. I have disasembled the printer and have found the problem myself:

1497_img_1300.jpg

Will use some epoxy to fix it.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
As someone who works with plastics a lot I can tell you epoxy won't stick to delrin, super glue is a little better but still delrin is near impossible to glue. Your best bet is to try drilling out the hole and replacing it with a stainless steel rod.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not stupid :rolleyes: I know nothing sticks to Polyethylene or polythene even superglue.

I wanted to say that I will use epoxy to fill the inside of the pulley or whatever you call it. Then drill a hole in the center and replace it with brass not steel. As brass is considered self-lubricating metal. It does not rust either.

So here is my fix, looks better than new and works too :D

1497_img_1303.jpg

You do have to drill not only center hole but many holes in the pulley (to make expoxy stick to itself, sorry don't have a photo) because otherwise the epoxy will just fall out.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Good job, Smile. I've got a few things that need repair if you want to stop off in San Francisco!