Pigment printers for Giclee printing

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
So out of what I've looked at, decide if roller is important or not, whether i want A2+ and if i want to spend £200 second hand or £500 new. The rest is pretty little in difference. Im not going to do black+white photos so the fact some have 3/4 black inks isn't a huge benefit over ones with 2. Im not sure if the different ink sets would make much difference? i.e. the HighGloss 2, K3 Vivid Magenta or the Lucia with Photo Cyan/Magenta (are they purely used on photo papers? if so, useless to me)

Thanks for the help, it also depends on what comes up close to me too :)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the color inks are used on all paper types, only the blacks vary - matte vs. glossy

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
Found a used P800 for the price of a new 10S. now thats an option. but not sure its worth the extra over a used 3880?

Is it true Epsons clog easier and costly to repair? we might only print once a month sometimes.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
used printers - the nozzle check recently printed should be o.k., the sellers should be able to give you some information about the usage, e.g. status of the waist ink container, ink used, paper used. One could assume that the 3880 is older than the P800 . And you better print something more frequently - a small picture, a nozzle check to keep the ink flowing, that would make it easier for you to avoid lengthy cleaning cycles after a month of idling.

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
In terms of quality, how would you rank these:
P800
R3000
10s
9500 mk2

I know no ones used all of them, but based on your knowledge? any key pitfalls?

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
Stuck between:

Canon 10S, Canon Pro 1, Epson P600 - All new, all the same price. Which one would you pick?

Epson 3880, Epson R3000, Canon 9500 Mk II - All second hand, various prices, but assume the same - which would you pick?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@pixelhero, there’s no real point in asking someone’s opinion on which printer they prefer, because there’re answer will be bios towards what they like to print and your printing options can and maybe very different to theirs.

A second factor to consider is the experience of home printing, the guy responding to your question may well have far more print time under their belt so could handle just about any of your selected printer without having any issues whatsoever, it’s like comparing horses for courses.

P.S. sometimes you need to buy several printers before you find the one that suites your needs best, I started with HP then Lexmark and quickly switched to Epson but later found that Canon were far better at printing the things that I liked to print, I now have a dozen printers on the go and all are Canon...

pixelhero

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
So, Now I've gone and bought both a Used 3880 and a New P800. Mistake made bidding on ebay for the 3880 so now have both.

Is anyone interested in a 3880 for £367? I could put you in touch with the seller.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Advantage p800: roll paper (if you need it at all)
Advantage 3880: refillable and resettable (if you want to join the club)

So if the used 3880 is a really good one... and the p800 purchase might be easier to cancel..
(.. I've just learned a new phrase: "hindsight is 20/20")