Pigment printer

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Hi All,

After a lot of suffering with fading after printing photos with non-oem dye ink in Canons printers (Pixma line) I am willing to buy a pigment printer.

Printing photos is a hobby. Therefore, some weeks I do not print much and others I do. I try, however, to print something once per week in order to avoid clogs.

I was once appointed by Palombian to a Canon Pro 10, but it is a very expensive machine for my purposes. In another thread Ink Stained Fingers discussed about the Epson WF2010W, which seems to be a nice little machine. However, it is not sold in Brazil. An alternative would be XP line, which also uses Durabrite inks. Nonetheless, I could not find new printers from the XP line that can use refillable carts. All of refillable carts in Ebay, etc. are made to previous models (like XP 204 and XP 214, instead of XP 241 that is sold in stores now).

There are tank machines from Canon, Epson and HP. However, they cost 4 or 5 times more than their similar without tanks. So, for the moment, I am not considering them.

Canon Maxify Ib4010 is sold at a reasonable price. I wondering if its refillable capabilities with pigment ink may suit my needs. Also, whether its printing photo capabilities are good. They do not need to be excellent such as the Canon Pro 100, but if they are similar to what I can get with the 5/6 carts machines from the Pixma line I will be more than happy.

I am also open to HP (or other brands/machines) if I can find a machine that fits my needs.

Any help on identifying and choosing a printer that can use pigment ink and has reasonable photo capability is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you are right, Epson is playing tricks again in your sales region, refill cartridges for your printer - T296x are available in China - https://de.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170621050210&SearchText=xp-231+refill but only with one time chips at this time, and pretty expensive one time replacement chips. But it could very well be that autoreset chips become available later - whenever.
If you choose for a tank system printer you very much need to stick to the inks you are using - swapping inks takes time and creates waste ink so that would not be recommended.
That's the ease with the WF2010W - I have different cartridge sets with different types of inks - pigment +GO and dye , and they are swapped easily as needed for the print jobs and the tests I have done recently.
Or you look for other workforce models for which refillable cartridges are already available with autoreset chips as I tested as well with the WF-7110DTW as an A3 printer. Ink swapping including gloss optimizer (if needed) is possible including dye inks etc.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The two best priced Canon pigment printers are the Pro 9500 II and Pro 10, but if they are to expensive to purchase then there’s nothing you can do about it, the Maxify has inks and refillable carts available, so does do the two Pro printers above.

Check out these two places and maybe Email them to see if they will post to your region, they also stock and supply inks and carts for Epson printers too, so it might help you decide on which printer to get and a more economical way to print with pigment inks.

http://www.inkjetcarts.us/
http://www.precisioncolors.com/

I see Amazon are selling the WF-7110DTW for £28.
Wow, that really a good price...:thumbsup

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I see this evening that Amazon have repriced their offer to £121, so either it was a mistake or the last batch of four went rather quickly.

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Import is very expensive because of the freight and customs.

Unfortunately, the workforces that are available in Brazil are only the big ones.

I am seriously thinking about buying the ib4010 maxify from Canon. Is it easy to refill it? What do you know about its photo capabilities? As mentioned in my post, if its photo printing results are similar to the Pixma line I will be probably happy with it.

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-10 - Epson L1800
Import is very expensive because of the freight and customs.

Unfortunately, the workforces that are available in Brazil are only the big ones.

I am seriously thinking about buying the ib4010 maxify from Canon. Is it easy to refill it? What do you know about its photo capabilities? As mentioned in my post, if its photo printing results are similar to the Pixma line I will be probably happy with it.

Thanks.
i'm like you with problem of custom and with not money but if u really love this hobby you need to paid for it, i wait asking question to @The Hat for months until i get the money, after that epson sponsor me for test their machine dye ink, but the pigment ink is the way to go for longevity photo, when u compare a pro machine with any other machine under that price it simple can't be compare anyway i live in Dominican republic but i love this and when you see the quality and detailed of the image you will get surprise.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
i'm like you with problem of custom
I reckon just about everybody gets screw by Customs and excise when importing from outside their own region, it’s the nature of the beast...:eek:
I got gold medals...:hide