Pigment ink in Canon Pixma printers?

WolfgangExler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

has anyone tried to use a sort of pigmented ink in Canon Pixma printers?

I think about using pigmented ink for a HP Photosmart Pro B9180 for an Pixma iP4200 just for printing colored text dokuments. The reason to think about using HP ink:
both HP and Canon use thermal inkjet printheads, so ink designed for HP may work.
Pigmented ink is more water resistant compared to dye ink

I know from other forums that pigmented Epson ink does not work with Canon printers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wolfgang

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Wolfgang

Don't try this. The printhead in the Pixma 4200 is actually two printheads in one. One section is for pigment black, the other is for dye inks C M Y and PhotoBK. The pigment ink section has much wider nozzles than the dye ink section. The use of pigment ink in the dye section will clog the nozzles and maybe ruin the printhead. I'm sure the HP printhead is specially designed to handle pigment ink. So even if the Canon and the HP are both thermal inkjet printers, don't do it.

Peter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
WolfgangExler said:
Hi everybody,

has anyone tried to use a sort of pigmented ink in Canon Pixma printers?

I think about using pigmented ink for a HP Photosmart Pro B9180 for an Pixma iP4200 just for printing colored text dokuments. The reason to think about using HP ink:
both HP and Canon use thermal inkjet printheads, so ink designed for HP may work.
Pigmented ink is more water resistant compared to dye ink

I know from other forums that pigmented Epson ink does not work with Canon printers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wolfgang
Well that is thinking out of the box I mean HP pigment inks in an iP4200.
I use pigment ink in my Pro9500 and have tried some of the same inks in my i865 (BCI-6)
They did work but clogged to hell when left standing over time.

You may try it in your iP4200 but remember to shake the cartridges every few hours
to stop the solids from clogging the outlet sponge in your cartridges.

Be prepared to run quite a few cleaning cycles between print jobs just to be sure that youre getting a good ink flow.
Dont forget to let us know how it all worked and if it was a success or not ok.
Have Fun anyway.

Just to let you know I havent done it since and wont be doing it again.:hit