Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions

whynot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think a Sound of the Week competition is a great idea!
Compared with my Panasonic KX-P1081, my Epson dot matrix (RX-P1081) sounded positively polite and considerate. No other printers I heard could screech like the Panasonic (it was a case of press the button and run).
I wish I'd recorded it now (I had them till last last year!).
It's possible it's in the background on one of my old audio cassette recordings (another reason to check through them, if I ever get a couple of weeks to spare...)

whynot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Nice photo, Smudger!
It's far better than the usual publicity photos (there are only so many angles with which to try to inject drama into a static black block!).
Maybe you could get paid for this kind of thing?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think a Sound of the Week competition is a great idea!
Compared with my Panasonic KX-P1081, my Epson dot matrix (RX-P1081) sounded positively polite and considerate. No other printers I heard could screech like the Panasonic (it was a case of press the button and run).
I wish I'd recorded it now (I had them till last last year!).
It's possible it's in the background on one of my old audio cassette recordings (another reason to check through them, if I ever get a couple of weeks to spare...)

This sounds like an interesting idea. An uploaded video or sound file should of course be in a new thread. In my opinion some sturdily built Canon PGI-5/CLI-8 printers like the iP5200, iP4300, MP970 are among the most quiet inkjet printers. Newer and less expensive/less sturdily built Canon printers like iP3600 and iP2700 are more noisy and some cheap HP "Supermarket Bargain All-in-ones" are really noisy. But how to record and compare noise levels and how to measure the sound pressure level in dB(A)? I guess the resulting sound file can be zipped and uploaded to the forum.

I guess the most noisy printer will be a matrix printer.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Nice photo, Smudger!
It's far better than the usual publicity photos (there are only so many angles with which to try to inject drama into a static black block!).
Maybe you could get paid for this kind of thing?

Thank you. I only work for cash money and hope to gain twenty dollars to spend on gin.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Here is shot #2:

Inspired by the golden flakes of corn, Printerknowledge offers you the best of sunny printing

2ni4lsj.jpg[

Last edited:

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Finally: Here is #3

'Smoking is bad for your health. '

Oh wait:

Old master? Get a perfect print at PrinterKnowledge!"

2dm8gzp.jpg

I shoot all these in lunchtime at work.

whynot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon Pixma MP640 has a nice low noise level, which was one of my criteria for choosing a printer (open-plan home, spouse a very light sleeper etc). It just calmly does what it's supposed to do, without any fuss. Unlike the one I had before (extremely briefly!), which was a prima donna of an Epson all-in-one. It made a great noisy to-do of the mysterious (to me) operations that modern printers carry on between printing (or between refusing to print, in that case).

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
@Smudger sayeth -" I made this picture of some woman I found on the Internet. Contains 'blur', though.

It shows the dark, enigmatic beauty of the plastic printer case, contrasted against the clearly moving, wonderful highlights of the printer carriage."

Methinks (not to be confused with Meth-inks) this lovely damsel hath cast her gaze on me on many occasions! If only our 21st century inks would have the permanence of this image!!!!! The eternal question --- are they OEM or cheap aftermarket oils? Perhaps another trip to Paris might permit me to clear up this mystery.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
"Perhaps another trip to Paris might permit me to clear up this mystery."

No need. You can run one off here. In ChromaLife 100+, too:

j5ksxs.gif