Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, Mr. Hat, rubbing it in, of course.

PeterBJ, you probably know that a lot of colored foods are acid-base indicators. Red cabbage does that, of course, and you can see the effect when you are washing dishes. As I recall, cranberry (tranebær) juice does that. I think I have also seen it in strongly colored fruit juices.
I have noticed that black currant s and blueberries also contain an indicator dye. I live in a hard water area and my tap water is alkaline. I have noticed a colour shift from red to blue when rinsing plates with black currant jam and similar.

But the pH dependent colour change of the Hydrangea seems to be more complicated than a simple acid-base indicator reaction. See this.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
But the pH dependent colour change of the Hydrangea seems to be more complicated than a simple acid-base indicator reaction. See this.
I would normally use Sulphate of Ammonia to lower the Ph. in the soil but that can lose its effects over the years with weather, but iron nails tend to last a lifetime..:)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Organ pipes from Church down the road from where our camera club meets. Being Easter and that.

No other reason. Just felt like posting a pic.

rs

Attachments

• _MG_0745 Organ pipes.jpg
    _MG_0745 Organ pipes.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 353

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes those Church organs can really play great sounds but it a pity they never get someone who understands them enough to not pulls out all of the stops, they usually sound frightful.
Very nice photo Roy..:thumbsup