Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions

Yes, Mr. Hat, rubbing it in, of course.

PeterBJ, you probably know that a lot of colored foods are acid-base indicators. Red cabbage does that, of course, and you can see the effect when you are washing dishes. As I recall, cranberry (tranebær) juice does that. I think I have also seen it in strongly colored fruit juices.
I have noticed that black currant s and blueberries also contain an indicator dye. I live in a hard water area and my tap water is alkaline. I have noticed a colour shift from red to blue when rinsing plates with black currant jam and similar.

But the pH dependent colour change of the Hydrangea seems to be more complicated than a simple acid-base indicator reaction. See this.
 
But the pH dependent colour change of the Hydrangea seems to be more complicated than a simple acid-base indicator reaction. See this.
I would normally use Sulphate of Ammonia to lower the Ph. in the soil but that can lose its effects over the years with weather, but iron nails tend to last a lifetime..:)
 
Organ pipes from Church down the road from where our camera club meets. Being Easter and that.

No other reason. Just felt like posting a pic.

rs
 

Attachments

  • _MG_0745 Organ pipes.jpg
    _MG_0745 Organ pipes.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 582
Yes those Church organs can really play great sounds but it a pity they never get someone who understands them enough to not pulls out all of the stops, they usually sound frightful.
Very nice photo Roy..:thumbsup
 
Back
Top