Picture of 2 oz. squeeze bottles with needles.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Picture of 2 oz. squeeze bottles with needles.

I have photographed four (4)2 oz. squeeze bottles with their needles.

7439_img_2435.jpg

The bottles and needles were purchased at
Howard Electronic Instruments Inc
974 SE Pioneer Road
El Dorado, KS 67042
Toll Free: 1-800-394-1984
Phone: 316-321-2800
Fax: 316-321-2803
sales@howardelectronics.com
www.howardelectronics.com

For bottles:
Quantity1.00
ItemJG2.0BC
Description2 oz. Boston Round Bottle w/Luer Lock Cap (10 per bag)
Unit Price$9.50
Amount--$9.50

For needles:
Quantity1.00
ItemJG 18-0.5P
Description18 Gauge 1 , 2 in. and 20 Gauge 1 , 2 in. plus scabbards (50 needles total)
Unit Price--$8.50

Ship Date: 3/4/11
Date Received: 3/9/11
Note: shipped from Kansas to Oregon

Freight: $3.00

Total: $21.00

Note: No freebies on the needles.

The following is a description of the bottles:

from left to right

2 oz. bottle with 1.5 inch long/20 gauge needle with scabbard
2 oz. bottle with 2.0 inch long/20 gauge needle
Salt shaker for scale. The salt shaker is 3 1/4 inches high and 1 1/2 inches in diameter as measured at the fullest part.
2 oz. bottle with 1.5 inch long/18 gauge needle
2 oz. bottle with 2.0 inch long/18 gauge needle

Bottle with cap is 3 7/8 inches high. With 1.5 inch needle the overall height is 5 7/8 inches. With the 2 inch needle the overall height is 6 3/8 inches high. The diameter of the bottle is 1 1/2 inches. The base is 1 1/8 inches in diameter. Because the base diameter is less than the diameter of the bottle the bottle is somewhat unstable. I will be keeping only 1 oz. of ink in the bottle. This should help with the stability of the bottle. Also, I will be looking for something like an egg carton to help hold the bottle. Or I will make something.

Questions:

How should I prep the bottles before putting ink in them?

Wash them out with tap water?

Wash them out with distilled water?

As you can see the needles do not have sharp points.

Can I use the blunt needles to make my first path to the sponge area (CLI-221 cart) when I do the german method?

Or do I need to use a needle with a sharp point?

Thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
joseph1949 said:
How should I prep the bottles before putting ink in them?

Wash them out with tap water?

Wash them out with distilled water?
Yes and yes if you have hard water.

Can I use the blunt needles to make my first path to the sponge area (CLI-221 cart) when I do the german method?

Or do I need to use a needle with a sharp point?
Yes, you can use the blunt needle first time, every time. You can use a sharp needle the first time or every time as well. It's OK either way, though a sharp needle increases risk of drawing blood and infection depending on the needle stick.

Good luck and have fun!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
And - with a phone request they substitued different needles for me. That was years ago, and they might not do that any more.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anybody thats looking for much the same bottles and needles in the EU can get them in octoink.co.uk
These squEasy bottles are much cleaner than syringes and easier to use.
The 1.5 long 18 gauge needle works for top fill and 2 long 20 gauge needle for the German fill. (My choice)

P.S. dont forget to use your OEM cartridges for best results.. ;)

ink_junkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the find '49! This looks like a good source for all sorts of things that are not readily available at the local big box store.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
The Hat said:
Anybody thats looking for much the same bottles and needles in the EU can get them in octoink.co.uk
You don't have to be in the EU... they ship to the US too. I bought them and are very happy with them. One thing I like it that, even though you can tell the ink color in the bottle, the bottle caps are colored (red, yellow, blue, black and green). I use the green capped bottle for the pigment ink.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek
You had mentioned on another string that in order to protecdt your printhead, you marked your carts with the date of the refill to guard against using old inks. Do you mark the bulk bottle of ink as well? Or, is the date of expiration on the bottle of bulk ink? Thank you for your answer.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I transfer ink from the bulk bottle to the squeeze bottle and mark the date of purchase on the squeeze bottle. My record keeping isn't perfect, but I want to avoid having a refilled cart sit for too many years while using others more frequently. If they are reasonably rotated in use I'll avoid using a cart with really old ink. The volume of printing I do is not very high, and I had previously kept too many refilled carts on hand with no system for being sure they were all used about the same amount. Some sat too long and others were used more frequently. I now date each refill on a label on the side of the cart to be sure I rotate the refilled carts for somewhat even use. That way, I can see how many refills each cart has had. I'm not interested in seeing how many refills I can get out of a cart before purging. I'd rather purge the carts more frequently to assure good ink flow. I don't have any "rules" for when to purge or how many refills to do before purging. Not very scientific! If I have some carts in use for around two years from first refill I'll consider purging the whole batch. More efficient to do several at a time, and with top fill holes they purge very quickly.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek

Thank you for that tip on dating ink bottles and carts. I'm keeping a computer file on all that I'm learning about refilling and I feel like I've tapped into an encyclopedia of wonderful info. It's time to do a backup of all this info. Don't want to lose it.

If you could explain your procedure for purging a cart, or if you have a link where you have explained it before I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance for your advice.