Picking a refill Machine.

bigben2525

kickbox
Reaction score
I am starting a retail ink refill store very soon. I have looked at many many machines and I really like one that fills cartridges through the printhead. It is probably one of the most expensive machines on the market. I wanted to get everyones opinion on this machine. I dont think it has the fill under vacum capability which seems to be so important from what I have read. Let me know what you think. http://www.inkteczone.us/refill/index.asp

What machine do you think is the BEST on the market?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I concur with mikling. Go to inkprocess.com and read all the info you can get by Mick Carlotta. Attend one of his on-line courses. Call him up and tell him what your needs are and follow his advice.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Once you grasp what Mick Carlotta is saying you'll understand why so many people cannot refill properly or why manual syringe is a shortcut that is fundamentally "wrong" but you can "get away" with it for a while.
Furthermore he doesn't state it but even some mfr's of vacuum machines don't really grasp the technical finepoints of the process. Even this article
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/docs/inkrefill.php
is actually what vacuum refilling is about. Of the two methods described one is technically wrong and one is right, though the author still manages to get results with both.... goes to show why it is soooooo right.
Unfortunately the home refiller can't justify vacuum refilling because of the cost. That will soon change. Keep and eye on www.precisioncolors.com in the coming weeks.

bigben2525

kickbox
Reaction score
Thanks for the info but I am still looking for feedback on the machine I originally posted. The info that you want me to check out on inkprocess looks like its going to run me a quick $1500. Does anyone have any opinion or info on the machine I am asking about.

Ben

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There is an article by Carlotta that points out why refilling by printhead is generally a bad idea.
First off, I can see pressuriization differential issues, the second, is that precision of the seal between colors has to be fine as well as STURDY. Put too much pressure on the head to seal during refill and you risk plate head dislocation.... If you have a contamination of the ink, you will have serious clogging. Ink coming from within the cartridge is filtered by a screen.
I think pressurization of the sponge will create a fair number of leakers as well.

IMO, too many pitfalls. I looked at that machine in the brochure then I started thinking and came to the conclusion as above.

BTW, I'm sure $1500 is just a downpayment on the Inkprocess machine. Even a run of the mill Speedbrite machine starts there.

bigben2525

kickbox
Reaction score
Everyone that has purchased the fill through the head machine seems to have really good luck with it. What do you think about the cbr-sme retail machine?