photo print quality (ip1800 vs ip3500 vs ip4500 vs other canons)

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is a very general question about all CANON printers regarding PHOTO print quality.

1. There are many canon printers with the same cartridges (especially with a built-in printhead) or with similar printheads specifications.
So, will these printers have the same photo print quality?

2. An ip1800 vs ip3300(ip3500), the same number of nozzles and same ink drop sizes.
But have different cartirdges and printhead

3. An ip1800 and ip3300(ip3500) vs ip4300(ip4500): the only advantage i can think of, regarding PHOTO print QUALITY is that ip4300 has an extra PHOTO BLACK and 1picoliter drop size
In my place an ip4500 (no more ip4300) is almost 4-times the price of an ip1800...
If all advantages (except PHOTO print quality - if there is a really big advantage) is NOT needed (duplex, 2way paper feed, printspeed, individual carts), would buying 4 ip1800 be better than buying 1 ip4500?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
narmenia said:
This is a very general question about all CANON printers regarding PHOTO print quality.

1. There are many canon printers with the same cartridges (especially with a built-in printhead) or with similar printheads specifications.

2. An ip1800 vs ip3300(ip3500), the same number of nozzles and same ink drop sizes.
But have different cartirdges and printhead
So, will these printers have the same photo print quality? ip6700D can get 10.000 photos and work fine :) 1600 printed only 3000 and started to fail.

3. An ip1800 and ip3300(ip3500) vs ip4300(ip4500): the only advantage i can think of, regarding PHOTO print QUALITY is that ip4300 has an extra PHOTO BLACK and 1picoliter drop size
In my place an ip4500 (no more ip4300) is almost 4-times the price of an ip1800...
If all advantages (except PHOTO print quality - if there is a really big advantage) is NOT needed (duplex, 2way paper feed, printspeed, individual carts), would buying 4 ip1800 be better than buying 1 ip4500?
Well, a printer that is more expensive has better build quality. For example the ip6700D and ip6600D are made in Singapore and the ip1800 and old ip1600, ip1200, ip1000 are made in Vietnam.

The print head metal guides on which it moves thousand times in printers like ip1600 ip1800 is just a metal sheet bent at 90 degrees, and in more expensive printers it is a metal steel pipe or cylinder (like in all normal printers).

Regarding printing, print head nozzle count matters if you are concerned about printing speed. So if you would like to compare print quality, then a general rule is. More ink tanks (like photo tanks light Magenta and Cyan) make better tones in photos with a blue sky for example etc. That is why Professional printers have 8 cartridges with green and red inks that only used if there is solid red for example on your photo.

If you would compare calibrated and profiled ip1800 vs. any other printer with 4 ink tanks (pigment cartridge works on plain paper only) you would not see any difference if nozzle size is the same on both printers. If you would compare to 6 ink printer like ip6700D and you would place the photos beside each other on a good lighting conditions you would see better tones in ip6700D and richer black on A4 photos for example, if you only print 4x6 (10cmx15cm) you would hardly see any improvement and if you do not refill it is not worth it.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
IP4500 = Good

IP6700 = Better

Pro9000 = Awesome

The low end models I wouldn't even consider since the IP4300 could be bought for $80 still.

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@Smile
i hardly print sizes larger than 4R.
i mostly print wallet sized (4 images on a 4R) and whole 4Rs.

i was thinking on using inkjet printers to print photos commercially and using CIS on the printer.
i will be charging cheaper rates than a photolab so print quality will not be a top priority. my main priority would be PRICE and a distant second is SPEED.
- PRICE will be taken cared of by the CIS and a cheap but very good photo paper i am currently using.
- SPEED will be an issue if i will be using an ip1800, but 4 ip1800 vs a single ip4500 would be better (i think).
and if one ip1800 has problems my business wont be serverly affected.
- PRINT LIFE wont be a problem coz it would be so cheap to make new copies once prints are faded or ruined.

@KnightCrawler
easy for you to say that coz higher end models of canon printers are cheap in your country...

an ip1800 cost around 50$ here [PH]
an ip3300 is around 98$
an ip4300 is around 135$

now the new ip4500 is around $186

so most people here don't really buy the higher end canon models. and btw canon charges replacement printheads [here] at a higher price than a brandnew printer.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
narmenia said:
@Smile
i hardly print sizes larger than 4R.
i mostly print wallet sized (4 images on a 4R) and whole 4Rs.

i was thinking on using inkjet printers to print photos commercially and using CIS on the printer.
i will be charging cheaper rates than a photolab so print quality will not be a top priority. my main priority would be PRICE and a distant second is SPEED.
- PRICE will be taken cared of by the CIS and a cheap but very good photo paper i am currently using.
- SPEED will be an issue if i will be using an ip1800, but 4 ip1800 vs a single ip4500 would be better (i think).
and if one ip1800 has problems my business wont be serverly affected.
- PRINT LIFE wont be a problem coz it would be so cheap to make new copies once prints are faded or ruined.

@KnightCrawler
easy for you to say that coz higher end models of canon printers are cheap in your country...

an ip1800 cost around 50$ here [PH]
an ip3300 is around 98$
an ip4300 is around 135$

now the new ip4500 is around $186

so most people here don't really buy the higher end canon models. and btw canon charges replacement printheads [here] at a higher price than a brandnew printer.
Yes printheads cost more than even good ip6700D printer itself, hey ink costs almost 100% what you pay for new printer !

If you need speed take a look at www.gelsprinter.com I bet you would rather use this than any other inkjet printer. It would be interesting to refill it with dye ink, or pigment ink, perhaps a diluted dye in with pigment would work best. It would be cheap to run and fast printing speed would be awesome.