Photo Paper Surfaces !!!!!

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-10 - Epson L1800
How much you know about surfaces and which one do you prefer for prints your photos. i love the lustres photo paper from fujifilm but when i go to another place and get the new brand of paper, the surface don't look as i want. so the question is how do you know the surfaces gonna be like do you want when u buy online. this are examples of fujifilm photo paper surfaces. :bow
img_clp_glossy.png

Glossy

img_clp_lustre.png

Lustre

img_clp_matte.png

matte

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try using a higher Print Quality setting, or leave the Media setting at Glossy..

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Try using a higher Print Quality setting, or leave the Media setting at Glossy..
yeap, is what i do, but i need the surface and i can't find this surface in another paper. i see they calls Lustre

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
even if different paper manufacturers call one of their papers 'lustre' or 'silk' or whatever it won' t look the same, maybe just somewhat similar, and even glossy papers may have different levels of smoothness.
Every serious paper supplier should have sample packs available which you can try for a test, or they have sample swatches available with their range of papers for a first look , e.g. something like this - posting #9

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/optical-brighteners-and-their-fading.11650/#post-98240

P.S.
Just check here for sample packs, as an example, other paper suppliers should have similar sample packs available.
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/samples/

Last edited:

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
even if different paper manufacturers call one of their papers 'lustre' or 'silk' or whatever it won' t look the same, maybe just somewhat similar, and even glossy papers may have different levels of smoothness.
Every serious paper supplier should have sample packs available which you can try for a test, or they have sample swatches available with their range of papers for a first look , e.g. something like this - posting #9

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/optical-brighteners-and-their-fading.11650/#post-98240

P.S.
Just check here for sample packs, as an example, other paper suppliers should have similar sample packs available.
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/samples/
i found this and thanks i found something similar in Red River.

Satin Surface Depth Primer

Whether called Satin, Luster, Pearl, or Silk, these names almost always refer to an E-Surface finish. Just look to the nearest photo lab print and you will most likely see this pebbled finish. The DEPTH of this surface varies from paper to paper. The more shallow the depth the less you will notice the surface on a printed image. :ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Good shots of paper surfaces :)

Well the paper manufacturers and sellers seem to think that the sheep that buy their goods are stupid enough and there is no need to provide information like:

Surface Gloss, mesured with gloss meter
Acidity of paper, both backing and ink layer
OBA (optical brightener) content.

Without this information, pretenting to print archival prints is rubbish. It's just wasting the expensive OEM ink.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Good shots of paper surfaces :)

Well the paper manufacturers and sellers seem to think that the sheep that buy their goods are stupid enough and there is no need to provide information like:

Surface Gloss, mesured with gloss meter
Acidity of paper, both backing and ink layer
OBA (optical brightener) content.

Without this information, pretenting to print archival prints is rubbish. It's just wasting the expensive OEM ink.

Ink jet papers are a small niche market within the bigger paper industry.

Most purchaser within this niche are, for the most part, artistic and creative people rather than objective evidence based evaluators.

It seems this results in advertising hype that makes all sorts of ephemeral claims rather than the measurable properties you mention. This is probably not going to change any time soon. My prediction is that inkjet paper will gradually drop to commoditiy status and the price will level off to a more sane and reasonable level. It will be combined with the rationalisation of the number of brand names. This is still probably a few years away.

There are a few notable exceptions. Red River Paper in North America make a reasonable attempt at full disclosure of the properties of their products. Not comprehensive, but better than most.

Just my two cents. No objection to anybody disagreeing or presenting alternative facts.

rs

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The only worldwide company to declare some facts is HP. Not all papers but almost have way more properties than others.