PGI5-BK cart has been refilled 155 times - "lazy method" works for me

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
needed to refill, so thought i'd post some numbers re my MP830

my current PGI5-BK cart has been refilled 155 times, never purged/flushed.

the PGI5-BK cart before this need to be replaced at 71 refills.

i use the "lazy method" of refilling, ie single cart, no spares sitting around approach.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...ta-details-named-by-the-hat-and-stratman.8621

not sure if the "lazy method" has anything to do with the refill numbers i am seeing, but being lazy seems to work for me.

comments ?

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Congrats !

By refilling the same carts there are no worries about ink evaporating via non sealed drill hole, vent and outlet in spare carts.
This seems not so easy to me as a beginner.
In comparison with PGI-9 pigment ink carts the dye types can't be sealed with a single clip.

If I would have be a Canon engineer and would discourage refilling, I would compare the new chip ID with the old.
But happily enough they don't do that (or the chips have no ID :)).

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
needed to refill, so thought i'd post some numbers re my MP830

my current PGI5-BK cart has been refilled 155 times, never purged/flushed.
the PGI5-BK cart before this need to be replaced at 71 refills.
i use the "lazy method" of refilling, ie single cart, no spares sitting around approach.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...ta-details-named-by-the-hat-and-stratman.8621

not sure if the "lazy method" has anything to do with the refill numbers i am seeing, but being lazy seems to work for me.

comments ?
The success may be related to not letting the ink in the empty sponge dry out prior to refilling. Proper storage of the empty or near empty carts may also prevent much drying of the sponge as well. My only concern, which you apparently haven't experienced, is the time a cart is out of the printer during the refilling process which might permit drying of ink in the intake area of the print head.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have a similar success rate as jimbo and I do not refill nearly as often as jimbo. I refill only when a cartridge is marked as empty and then will refill all cartridges except if they have 50% or more ink in the spongeless side. The point here is that my ink cartridges reach "Empty" and then are refilled, and, that cartridge is sitting in the print head for days on end with the sponge side less than filled. Other cartridges are often past the "Low" warning as well before refilling occurs.

While the consensus on the forum may be to refill before the sponged side is less than full of ink, my experience with the CLI-8 and Durchstich method of refilling is that letting the CLI-8 cartridges run till empty is OK.

Maybe it's the construction/function of the CLI-8 and/or MP830 that affords this flexibility. :bow :love

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
continuing with my lazy man approach....

when one cart's reservoir side gets close to empty, i take all the ink carts out, reset them all and then refill/top off each of them.

most times i can reset and refill them all before the print head parks itself.

i keep waiting for something to go wrong using this method. my MP830 has over 60,000 pages printed, just keeps going and going....

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Well done Jimbo! I too use the lazy method. I'm not that lazy but it seemed to me the best way of refilling. Now I have refilled the cartridges that came with the printer many times (I didn't count it) and they still work properly.

There is one restriction: you can fill a PGBK cart with dye ink, but after that you can't fill it with pigment ink again. So that's a one way route. Refilling them with pigment ink from the start is of course no problem.