Pc inks still the best?

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I've been using pc inks in my pro 100 for years, no issues. I just wonder if there are other inks that are better, or similar but lower cost?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
if there are other inks that are better,

What would you expect from a 'better' ink ? As long as parameters are not clear it is difficult to comment on that.
PC is about the only company I'm aware of offering a wide collection of icc color profiles for their ink sets which would let you compare gamuts to other inksets if other suppliers would publish any comparable data at all . Some inkjet paper companies provide profiles as well for their papers for a range of Epson and Canon printers but always and only running OEM inks.

Last edited:

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I'm just at the point where it's time to re-order, and thought maybe I'm not up to speed on what's available. I'll just order more PC inks and continue as I've been doing.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Just so long as your happy with their poor longevity..:(
All 3th party dye inks have a poor longevity, the labs do not have access to the same components as OEM inks.
This is also the case for pigment inks, but since pigments are more stable by nature, this is much less an issue for refilling.

IMO chances are low to inexisting you will find better quality, and the price is very affordable when you live in the US.
Shipping abroad is more complicate.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
All 3th party dye inks have a poor longevity, the labs do not have access to the same components as OEM inks.
Yes indeed they do, but the sellers never mentions that in their advertisements, too often longevity is a forgotten word, but these new bottled inks from Canon may change things for the dye ink Refillers..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Yes indeed they do, but the sellers never mentions that in their advertisements, too often longevity is a forgotten word, but these new bottled inks from Canon may change things for the dye ink Refillers..
Indeed, after all there is progress for refillers.
When I started pigment inks suffered from gloss differences and bronzing (not only the 3th party), this has been much enhanced so we don't have to choose between plague and cholera anymore.
Seems the cholera could be avoided too.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
When I started pigment inks
But the discussion is about Dye-based inks.

I am unaware of any aftermarket Dye-based ink approximating the archival properties of Canon Dye-based inks. Have you?

In this respect, the choice of aftermarket inks is between crappier and even more crappier. One cannot avoid the crap.

However, this crap may not be an issue for people not needing archival ink.

Sadly, Canon declares their inks will turn to crap years into the future (depending on storage/exposure).

So, in the end...

1619453383744.png

Yes, this is an actual child's book.