Paper adds color cast?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Obviously someone has an awful lot to learn about about kids, his eyes of course...:ep

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
You're kidding, right?

Right - But do remember our eyes are easity fooled by not only our brains, but light as well. The person who said "Seeing is believing" was one of the original con artists.

I have posted the following link to an old TED talk on colour perception previously. It is worth repeating. Especially as we seem to constantly repeat the same comments about colour in our posts. It also gives insight in the the number of variables to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5otGNbkuc
rs

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that's a very nice and illustrative clip about the complexity of color vision and how much neural activity is going on - we don't see the raw data coming from the eyes but our vision system/ brain creates a 3D VR film for us - not just processing the colors, but is as well handling geometric and moving objects , textures, creating a 3D room, recognizing people and faces and emotions and more, and adding sound from another input channel.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
That’s why we should never check a colour swatch with a white background, which is the opposite to what we think...

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
That’s why we should never check a colour swatch with a white background, which is the opposite to what we think...

What color would you recommend, given that there is no truly neutral color? A black or grey background would also cause a color shift.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What color would you recommend
A mid to neutral grey is preferable, say 50% black, everyone’s eyes are different, so choose a grey that’s less distractive.
It’s more representative when examining two colours rather than one...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Otherwise known perhaps in photography as a Gray card. If you have one that is possibly the shade Hat is recommending.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Yes, I have one. I was just referring to the video which, to me, implied that any color surrounding another changes the color of the surrounded color, thus making a "right" choice entirely subjective.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes a neutral grey with 18% reflectance like the Kodak Grey Card is the recommended wall paint. See this. I dont remember the RAL number for this neutral grey, but maybe it is 7047?

For comparing colours against a standard in the paint manufacturing industry a light box with a special daylight source is often used. These boxes are painted inside with a neutral grey like the Kodak Grey Card.

Latest posts