p1005 laser printer can't install driver

adi5

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
RIght so i have this problem with the hp p1005 laser jet printer. See its brand new but i can not install the driver. The install goes well follow the instructions of the cd that comes with the printer, i take out all the orange tape but when the computer tells me to plug in the printer via the usb port i do it and then turn on the printer but Windows tells me it doesn't recognize the device (the printer). I have tried everything to fix this, tried installing the printer manually over the control panel and printers and faxes options we added the driver, didn't work, I tried downloading different drivers, i even went to the HP page and downloaded the program they have that tells you if the computer can run the printer and whats wrong with the installation. After downloading some new drivers it told me that everything was ok but it still didn't work. I don't know what else to do, i searched on forums and there are people with similar problems but no one has an answer for it, hope one of you guys can think of something.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well you need to try the printer on another PC, if it works there you have driver problem. Else your PC is the problem, reinstall windows that could fix your problem.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thoroughly clean out any other HP driver that you are not using.
Remove/clean out any other printer drivers that you are not using.
Only install the HP drivers that you really need....HP is notorious for bloatware.
Use the latest drivers available at HP Support.
If there is software that you want from the CD, install it after you have the printer fucntioning.

Apply power and communication only when prompted by the installer.
Use a main USB 2.0 port and not a hub or add-on.
Try a different USB cable.

HP driver removal :
http://www.out-of-warranty.com/2008/12/three-ways-to-uninstall-and-reinstall.html

Latest drivers : (assuming Vista 32-bit) please verify
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3435676

If used properly (read backup), this freebie can be useful :
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html?Str=download

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had the same problem withe a DeskJet I've bought couple moths ago. I did everything by the book but still Windows couldn't recognize the printer. This message kept popping out : One of the USB devices has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. Whenever I've checked the device manager an Unknown device was listed where the USB controllers are.

Fortunately I had another PC near me so I tried to hook the printer to that one. Same story, so I've figured either the printer was defective, or the USB cable was not good.

I've changed the USB cable and the printer went on as it should!

So try with a different cable.

Hope it works!

refilldude

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ive seen this quite a few times. normally it is down to your windows not been up to date. so run a full windows update to the latest service pack and hopefully it will install.

make sure you remove all hp driver software before update and restart computer also