Optimal needle length for German Durchstich refill method

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
FYI:

I noticed that the optimal needle length for using the Durchstich refill method seems to be 50 mm (a little less than 2 inches).
This length allows you to push the needle fully in until the plastic base of the needle stops further entry, and this leaves the needle tip just short of hitting the optical sensor plastic....
So you don't have to guess whether your needle tip has "made it" into the spongeless chamber (past the wall that separates the sponged/spongeless chambers).
This seems especially helpful with the black inks cartridges, whose coated walls makes it hard to see where the needle tip has reached.

I think I got these 50 mm needles from hobbicolors (I'm not positive about that).

Allotofthings.com doesn't seem to carry 50 mm . Last I checked they had 1.5 inch then 2.5 inches.
http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/p amp;page=2

Compubiz.com doesn't either... They have 1.5 inches then 3.5 inches.
http://216.219.159.185/tools.html#anchor29689

Anyone know someone who sells 50 mm needles?

jru

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Try your local veterinarian,physician,etc......They can easily accomodate this request if they know you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
avolanche said:
Try your local veterinarian,physician,etc......They can easily accomodate this request if they know you.
Most physicians do not stock needles longer than 1.5" except for possibly expensive angiocatheters and other specialty items. A surgeon might. A hospital would probably. Needles of 50mm length are just not common in the USA. We're not metric system, hence the commonplace 0.5-1.5 inch needles you can purchase in drugstores and find in doctor's offices.

The issue of 50mm needles is moot. I use the 2.5" blunt needles from alotofthings.com and they work beautifully. You can see the needle in the spongeless side, even with CLI-8 Black cartridges, by angling the syringe until the needle tip touches one of the plastic sides. A three inch needle would be peachy too. And the blunt needle is also a non-issue concerning the Durchstich Method. In fact, the blunted needle will prevent damaging the cartridge if you shove the needle in too far, and you can push the needle in till it hits plastic and then pull back a few mm's and be assured you are in the right place even if you can't see the needle inside the cartridge. Also, knowing the length of the needle and then measuring/eyeballing the amount sticking out of the cartridge helps to assure you that you are in the right place too.

Bottomline, don't get too hung up on 50mm needles if you live in the USA... unless you have a lot of cash to import from Europe... and there are no laws banning the importation/mailing of sharp-tipped needles of this size in your state (as there are in many states in the US without a perscription from a physician).

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hobbicolors provide 2" x 18G blunt needles with their refill kits. They may supply them individually.

You could ask them - I found them to be very helpful people.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
stratman said:
avolanche said:
Most physicians do not stock needles longer than 1.5" except for possibly expensive angiocatheters and other specialty items. A surgeon might. A hospital would probably. Needles of 50mm length are just not common in the USA. We're not metric system, hence the commonplace 0.5-1.5 inch needles you can purchase in drugstores and find in doctor's offices.
I always had long needles around,but that was a few years ago.May have been LP needles.I don't remember where they were from.I know my vet used 2-2.5" needles to aspirate an abcess on my Basset Hound.

The Hobbicolors blunt needles can be easily sharpened with a dremel tool.I like 'em sharp for cartridges.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
headphonesman said:
jru said:
Anyone know someone who sells 50 mm needles?

jru
http://www.medisave.co.uk/microlance-needles-green-21g-inch-per-100-p-1684.html

This is where I got mine in the UK....you would have to ask if they would post to the USA , but it was a small package , the service was good and the price very reasonable.
Hmm... so I'm guessing these would be worth investing in and putting in my shop of various oddments for refillers and CIS types then...

Nice to have the stuff in the UK for a change!
*sits down in stunned shock*

Edit: Just in case anyone is interested in stuff like this I've created a little shop on ebay and my octoink site (see signature below).
The latter came about because of the diabolical fees ebay charges. Soon be putting bits for home brew CIS kits soon too.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
avolanche said:
I always had long needles around,but that was a few years ago.May have been LP needles.I don't remember where they were from.I know my vet used 2-2.5" needles to aspirate an abcess on my Basset Hound.

The Hobbicolors blunt needles can be easily sharpened with a dremel tool.I like 'em sharp for cartridges.
Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he/she is doing well.

Longer needles are expensive for primary care physicians to stock more than a handfull. Maybe rural based docs that do more (specific) procedures would have more on hand. There just is no incentive, need or reason to do procedure like Lumbar Punctures in most primary care offices today with the rare exception of true rural/wilderness medicine - patients go to the ER. I do not know about veterinarians, so if you have a good relationship with one, give it a try.

There is zero reason requiring a sharp tipped needle to refill by the Durchstich method. None. Sharpening a blunt needle also causes metal fatigue and an increased risk of fracturing upon use which could cause injury. The risk is small but present. And there is the omnipresent risk of needle sticks and potential infection issue. I rinse and reuse my needles and syringes, so the blunted tip adds a layer of safety whether actively refilling or while in storage.

Since there is no reason to use sharpened needles for the Durchstich method, and sharpened needles shipped to certain states may run afoul of the law, invest in available needle stock 2" and greater that makes the most economic sense, blunt or sharp.

If your heart is set on sharp tipped needles of 50mm and greater and you want a lot of 100 or more, research a purchase from a medical supply business. You may need a prescription from a physician or have them shipped to your doctor's office.

Blame drug addicts and fearful mail carriers and delivery personnel for the laws regarding needles in the USA.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stratman said:
If your heart is set on sharp tipped needles of 50mm and greater and you want a lot of 100 or more, research a purchase from a medical supply business. You may need a prescription from a physician or have them shipped to your doctor's office.

Blame drug addicts and fearful mail carriers and delivery personnel for the laws regarding needles in the USA.
Good grief, I had no idea there were those sorts of restrictions on needles...

Thanks for the tip..

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have been using IV needles because of their length. Only problem is the small diameter which restricts drawing the ink out of the bottle. Other than that, no issues.