Ops I Messed Up…

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I had just finished off a small print run the other night, and on my way out I noticed the BK black was showing low on my i865 so I quickly changed it for a fresh one and taught that was that.

Today I went to print out a letter and again noticed the BK black was out of ink ! ! and alarm bells started to ring, Houston we’ve had a problem, the black cartridge had to changed once more.

I printed a nozzle check and this is what I got, so I gave the purge unit a good splash and squirt of washing up liquid and ran a deep clean to sort everything out and get the colours back to normal, well it didn’t.
Untitled-34.jpg

The Cyan, Magenta and Yellow cartridges seem to have taken most of the BK black that leaked out, even dough the black cartridge was miles away from the rest of them.
Capture.PNG

This shows a sample of how much black there was inside the half full yellow cartridge, the Magenta and Cyan didn’t fair out much better, after I had check them also.
Untitled-3.jpg

Most of my cartridges are old and have been filled for more than six months and I reckon the odd one mustn’t have been sealed up properly, probably not taking enough time to do the job properly, hind sight is a wonderful thing, and it enables me to spot my problems afterwards.

This can happen to anyone who doesn’t take care every time with their refilling and gets too complaisant with their procedures, because they simply think they know it all..Ouch.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Yellow and black go great together.... On a car

Mine looked like that when I tried to print some cd's for my son, for some reason the head drug across the CD and all the carts got contaminated, I was sad cause they were just filled OEM and I didnt know you could flush them, so I tossed them, and havent tried a cd since...

Live and learn I guess....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I, too, have amazing 20/20 hindsight. We must be related.

Glad to hear you ferreted out your issue.

sherlock.gif

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
So the cross contamination was caused by a leaking photo black cartridge and not an internal leakage in the print head? So the i865 lives to print another day :) ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So the i865 lives to print another day :) ?
Yes it does and thanks @PeterBJ for your concern, I’ll be really put out when this current head fails because that’s it, and another one will have bitten the dust, but for now, it goes on and on, May-04 (Second head) and still using the same OEM carts with a couple of CLl-8’s as support..:weee

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Sorry for your troubles but glad you could take it in stride, learn from it and get it working again. Makes me feel not so bad about my errors knowing that even a seasoned pro sometimes "messes up" to use your words. :old