Opinions about the PianoBook CISS in the Epson Artisan 710

Zapper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello from an Inkjet CISS NOOOBIE!!! :lol:

I just replaced my dinosaur HP PSC2120xi with a new Epson Artisan 710. And I am looking at buying the Piano Book CISS that has been mentioned on this forum.

I've never owned an Epson printer before (previous printers have always been HPs - but I am tired of buying ridiculous prices for cartridges).

Anyrate, here's my questions (for those that have installed a Piano Book CISS).

1. How difficult is it to make the "grinding" modifications mentioned. (are the instructions that come with this really clear on where and how much to "grind off"?

2. We don't use our inkjet printer very often. (reserved pretty much for photos)...how does this system work if it has been setting for say 2-3 months between prints? Is there something special I need to do? As I have read that Epsons are notorious for "wasting" ink during cleaning cycles. Does this system stop that "wasteful" behavior?

3a. What is the difference between "dye-based ink" and "pigment-based ink"?
3b. Which type comes in this CISS?
3c. Which is better for printing "photos" and why?
3d. How difficult is it to switch between the two types?

4. If I buy this CISS, where is the best place to get replacement "Epson HD Claria-like" ink from?

Thanks for taking the time to respond... I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Dennis Gerik
Seattle, WA

dparadowski

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have one on my 810, basically the same printer with a different control panel and scanner feeder.. Here are your answers.

1. The grinding is easy if you use a dremel tool. As for how much, it is just trial and error. It is really easy though. Just grind some and try and close the lid. If it doesn't close flush without any pressure, grind a little more. You'll see exactly where to grind when you open the printer.

2. You have to print something out about one a week or so or any CISS can develop problems. The only time is seems to do a cleaning cycle is when you tell it to or when the cartridges reset. I'm not even sure that this printer does a cleaning cycle after a cartridge change because of the way the cartridges don't move, but I'm not sure.

3. You definitely want the dye ink if you don't print often. The pigment last longer, but is not as gloss and will clog more if you don't print for long periods. Dye doesn't last as long, but looks more like a traditional photo. Switching between the 2 in this printer is hard because the cartridges are stationary and the tubes that run to the print head have to be used before the new ink is at the head.

4. ljhent.com is where i bought mine and his price for ink is good too.

Zapper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks David...

I've been looking at Leonard's sites (& system) and I am just about sold... I think my concern is in my "grinding skills" ;)

I guess if I have some patience and a steady hand I should be okay... I just don't want to ruin my new printer... :|

RE: the ink... I guess if I have the original files, I can always reprint if necessary...

Thanks for the input.
Dennis

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi Dennis

Here is a quote from orlenz a forum member on an alternative install method.

orlenz said:
I also found another way to remove the plastic inside the lid without having to use a grinder, there are two thin plastic pieces protruding down from the inside of the cover,

I didn't have a grinder or dremel handy, so I just got a pair of pliers, and grabbed one and wiggled it back and forth until it came loose from the printer case,

then did the same to the other one, they came off perfectly flush with the case and left no sharp edges or anything to wear at the tubing.

Orlenz
The original link
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4268&p=3

Thank you
Leonard

Zapper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Next "stupid" question...

I see you cannot mix dye & pigment-based inks together, but can you mix different "dye-based" inks from different suppliers?

Meaning, I order dye-based refill ink from Supplier A and 6 -12 months later I order more dye-based refill ink from Supplier B...

Do I have to "flush" the entire system before using Supplier B's ink? Or can I just top off the bottles?

Dennis

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Zapper said:
Next "stupid" question...

I see you cannot mix dye & pigment-based inks together, but can you mix different "dye-based" inks from different suppliers?

Meaning, I order dye-based refill ink from Supplier A and 6 -12 months later I order more dye-based refill ink from Supplier B...

Do I have to "flush" the entire system before using Supplier B's ink? Or can I just top off the bottles?
I really wouldn't recommend just "topping off" for the simple reason that you don't know what chemicals have been used in Sup'A or Sup'B or what kind of reaction you might get when mixed.

Explosions are fairly unlikely ;) unless you count the one you set off in yourself when you realise that you've clogged your nozzles and system.

So, yeah I would definitely recommend flushing your system before you fill it with the second suppliers ink.

There's been a number of posts on how to do this so a bit of searching should help there.

Zapper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, it sounds like... because this is not my "main" printer... that it might actually be better and simpler to just use refillable ink cartridges...

So, I will spend some time over in that sub-forum and learn about refillable options...

Dennis

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
That would be a good half way house Dennis... CIS systems really aren't worth bothering with unless you are printing regularly and a fair amount.

dannid3

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I have had my Epson 710 for about about 2 months and Epson is sending me a new one because of hardware issues. I have been reading about these CISS systems and am scared to death it will ruin my printer, but the cost of cartridges is too much. In our old printer that is going back we had refillable ink cartridges, but not a constant flow system. Had issues with ink overflow and upon taking the cartridges out, filling them and placing it back into the machine they are not being recognized. It wasn't until tonight I started reading about chip resetting. I am wondering what the Piano Book CISS is and how it works. Getting scared when reading about grinding, but my hubby has the dremel hand tool, so that is not a problem. Are the ink cases which are connected to the tubes (not the cartridge end) what is refilled? If so, is this part messy? Also, how is the Piano Book CISS get around the chip reset and your computer reading low ink levels? Sorry, for all the questions, but before I am trying to understand what my best option is and if after buying this there is any support. The refillable ink cartridge set I bought was from overseas and they were useless-total waste of money. If anyone can help guide me and provide some advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks much and Happy New Year's

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dannid3 said:
I have been reading about these CISS systems and am scared to death it will ruin my printer, but the cost of cartridges is too much. In our old printer that is going back we had refillable ink cartridges, but not a constant flow system. Had issues with ink overflow and upon taking the cartridges out, filling them and placing it back into the machine they are not being recognized.
I have ruined a couple Epson printers but it was back when I used refillable cartridges. They generate "need service" messages and don't work and I don't know why. Since switching to CIS no printers have been damaged and the amount of time spent on maintenance is about 1/10th that of refilling.

I still support a couple refill systems for various reasons but find the two dozen CIS systems I installed far more trouble free and less effort. Nearly all my problems occured when reinstalling refill and there is no changing cartridges anymore.

dannid3 said:
Getting scared when reading about grinding, but my hubby has the dremel hand tool, so that is not a problem. Are the ink cases which are connected to the tubes (not the cartridge end) what is refilled? If so, is this part messy? Also, how is the Piano Book CISS get around the chip reset and your computer reading low ink levels?
I have never had to "grind" any of the Epsons. Usually just keep the lid open a bit. In some cases the sensor is defeated but haven't done that either.

The messy part for me was filling syringes and cartridges. Now I just pour ink into CIS tanks which is easier and done far less often.