Opening up the iP4500... Little help here.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hey folks... I have an IP4500 which I'm taking the case off of so I can modify the case slightly to allow cartridge fitting clearance when I install a CIS.

I've worked out part of the deal which involves slightly lifting then sliding the two black plates at the back left/right of the printer to show two additional lugs that (with the the two obvious push points under the lid) allow the sides to be taken off.

Where I'm coming unstuck is working out where the remaining two lugs and push points are in the front segment of the printer to uncouple the main top body.

Anyone tried this yet and found the points needed?

Cheers
:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
LOL... no sooner asked than found...

Guess my brain just needed a 3 minute break to figure it out.

So for those wondering.. Here's a quick dis-assembly destruction set for your iP4500 (at your own risk!!)

1. Locate two black slide panels to the left and right of the top paper feed opening (open the paper tray if you haven't already)
2. Lift the inside edge slightly and then slide these panels inwards to release
3. Locate the two arrow marked holes on each side (one under the printer main lid, the other under the panel you've just removed)
4. Gently push into the holes with a screwdriver whilst gently pulling out the side panel.. A little gentle persuasion once both lugs have been freed should encourage the panel off at the bottom too.
5. Repeat on the other side.

6. To the left and right, in the usual places are two lugs behind the front panel of the printer and in front of the CD-tray hinge.. Find these and gently push outwards using a thing screwdriver and you should feel it give slightly...
7. The other lugs are in the back in the usual spots..

The above is really only for people who already have a service manual for earlier Pixma printers and who know what they're doing... If you fubar your printer it's your own fault so if in doubt, just don't touch it!.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
6. To the left and right, in the usual places are two lugs behind the front panel of the printer and in front of the CD-tray hinge.. Find these and gently push outwards using a thing screwdriver and you should feel it give slightly...
7. The other lugs are in the back in the usual spots..
websnail,
I have problem figuring out your step #6. Please post picture if you can. Thanks.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thank you Websnail,

This was definitely not as easy to open up as the ip4300! I was starting to get my "Hulk smash puny printer" hat on before I read your post haha.

Those 2 removable panels in the back must have been tricky to catch!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I haven't forgotten about the guide for this... I just haven't had any time to actually put it all together...

It will happen... and if someone wants to babysit for a few hours it'll happen quicker! :)