One of two yellow stripe doesn't print in Nozzle Check result

Pixellion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP282
Hello, a new user here! :frow

Issue description: After roughly three weeks with no printing task, I did printout nine pages of document yesterday and noticed faded yellow color in the output result. Then decided to perform Nozzle Check operation. You can see the results in the images below. Sorry for the water spots spilled on the paper in the first image. I used scanner to get these images so don't mind the color tone shift on the nineth image.

1st Nozzle Check result without Deep Cleaning action from the software.
IMG_0001.jpg
2nd Nozzle Check result after first Deep Cleaning action. It is pretty much removed all missing lines in C and M colors.
IMG_0002.jpg
9th Nozzle Check result after respectively doing;
- Five Deep Cleaning action, last one done after 24h cooldown with printer unplugged as Canon user guide suggested,
- Refilling color cartridge with about 3-4ml of ink in case it's running low especially after running frequent Deep Cleaning just so there is no question mark remain regarding color running low,
- Holding print head part in warm water mixed with a solution that came up with refill inks I was ordered. It's supposedly a solution for clogged print heads.
- Performed cartridges reset by pressing and holding down reset button 3 second.
- Performed clean install for printer drivers.
Ps: All above actions were performed up to this point once at a time between each Nozzle Check operation, to see if they have an effect on the result so I can track down a clue but no avail.
IMG_0009.jpg

It might not be apparent from scanner imperfections but actual printout result from 9th image shows all color stripes perfectly fine with naked eye. However, the first yellow stripe is totally absent now, compared to first image where there is at least two thin, faded yellow lines still apparent. At this point I'm completely lost and not sure if it's all about clogged print head issue or something else.

Printer: Canon Pixma MP282
Cartridges: Original Canon PG-510 and CL-511 BK-C-M-Y ink cartridges, each are 9ml that came up with the printer.

Further information: I'm well aware that the printer is pretty much aged one and is a very basic tier product. It was purchased back in 2012. After probably 20 low color density document printout. The moment black cartridge led indicator on the printer started to flash out and color cartridge followed by with still led light indicating ink running low I stopped using the printer. I didn't bother to pruchase new cartridges because it was same price as the printer itself. By the time I knew it is the best not run out of inks in cardridges if you plan to refill and I did just that.

I kept it well stored and forgotten up until May 2023. I was on the verge to get rid of the printer, if it won't work after I've decided to refill the cartridges with dye based inks I ordered online. I've heard these cartridges can take up to four to five refill until they start to defunct.

Once I had ordered dye based inks from a local online vendor to refill my cartridges, I was worried if cartridges will yet again underperform with printout quantity. So I searched for possible reasons and come across to a suggestion online that was suggesting it's better to keep printer powered on all the time, instead of turning it on each time you have something to printout. Because the comment were telling that the printer consumes some amount of ink ecah time you boot it up. So it runs out your inks in cartridge the more you turn off and on the printer.

I read and watched plenty of refill instructions along with written instruction that came up with refill inks. The moment I started refill I was gathered as much information as possible about the process. Refill went successful but since cartridges were in deep hibernation about ten years, it only took eight hours or so, cartridges lying down print heads in a warm water mixed with a special solution provided with inks I ordered. Then after a few syringe of huffs and puffs from print heads and holes where I filled inks with syringe, print heads were mainly unclogged and performed cleaning and deep cleaning to fully unclog them. It was a bliss to see after all those years the printer is working once again. That up until yesterday once I saw Nozzle Check result is missing one stripe of yellow color.

It was the third time in total when I refilled cartridges yesterday. As I mentioned before, as suggested in many places I did not refill full tank capacity for each color which is 9ml for each color. Only around 3-4ml ink I refilled for each color.

Usage: After first refill since May, I only printed 10 image at photo quality on a A4 size non-photo paper. Other than that, I printed out standard documents around 30-40 pages maybe. I performed test prints since I wasn't regularly print something and it is advised to print some test pages every each week or so if you don't printout regularly, in order to keep print heads intact.

Especially for photo quality prints, I was using High quality setting for my prints.

To come back to the original issue again, I would like to know what might be causing that missing stripe of yellow color in Nozzle Check. Just to be clear again, the printouts also evidently shows the lack of yellow color. If there is no solution other than replacing color cartridge, then would it be possible if I somehow crank up yellow color to mitigate loss of yellow color on the prints.

Thanks!
Best,

jonawalls

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma G3110
Hi, Did you find a solution to this?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
No solution other than replacing the printhead. This was no clog but failure of the electronic component controlling the firing of the nozzles on this yellow stripe.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
This is electronic failure of print cartridge, you can only replace it. :(

Pixellion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP282
Hi, Did you find a solution to this?
Sorry for the late response but no, I couldn't find any soulution other than accepting the fact that printhead is dead and a replacement is required. Same has happened to the red color about a month ago.