One MP500, glue parts and voila....

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Yep... I got a CIS installed into an MP500 today after letting the printer sit there and taunt me for 4 days while I did other work.. Amazed I lasted as long as I did :p

The whole process was a major pain and Canon have made it harder with this compared to the MP750 due to a few dangling plastic bits which hang off the bottom of the scanner base (ie: printer lid). You have to get creative with a soldering iron or as I did, with a dremel tool and cutting disk.

All in all the whole process required 2 hours hands on time.. 5 hours of thinking and re-thinking time and less than 45 minutes of cursing... not bad all told :)

I'm doing a write-up on the traps, tricks and issues on continuousink.info at some point in the next day or so but in the mean time i have a server to rebuild after it overheated and fried the MB and CPU... fun!

Dan@blue-optix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey, the MP500 looks like a good machine, its double the res of the 750/60/80 I think so u should get some awsome prints from it.
You got any pics of it with the system in place? I was thinking of getting the 500 but an still concerned about the chip issue with no re-setters on the horizon (apparently the chip runs so fast to reproduce it isnt currently ecconomically viable "Or So I've Heard")

What are your thoughts on print quality compared to your 750?

Regs,

Dan

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Dan@blue-optix said:
Hey, the MP500 looks like a good machine, its double the res of the 750/60/80 I think so u should get some awsome prints from it.

You got any pics of it with the system in place?
Yep... popped some up yesterday here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=261

I was thinking of getting the 500 but an still concerned about the chip issue with no re-setters on the horizon (apparently the chip runs so fast to reproduce it isnt currently ecconomically viable "Or So I've Heard")
Well as to that side of things I've had no problems yet with the chipped printers I have but you need to be aware that I'm using them with CIS kits so they never ever go "low ink" in reality (Well... they shouldn't if I built em right ;))

What are your thoughts on print quality compared to your 750?
Hard to say but I can note that in terms of print quality compared to the CX6600 it's actually not quite as good (well to an amateur on the whole photographic side) but in terms of speed, etc... it works pretty darned well.. I don't know if I'd consider it a photographic printer per se but then like I said, it does ok...

You can always request a print sample from Canon btw, just check on their site..

Hope that helps.. :)