one cartridge not printing after....

figs

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
I have a Canon Pro 10 that often sits idle as I travel a lot.
After an long trip I came back to find one of the blk cartridges not printing. Under closer inspection, I found a dried puddle of black ink on the strip below where the cartridges rest. I replaced the cartridge, and tried to print again...no luck... ran two cleaning cycles and one deep cleaning, .. no luck.
The printer does sit idle for long periods but I have never used anything other than official new Canon cartridges.
IT is an expensive printer that worked quite fine for several years.... I hate to toss it because there is one cartridge not printing. Any suggestions?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Hi and welcome to the forum.
First thing: you don’t have to toss the printer because of a possible printhead failure. A new printhead is not cheap, but surely not as expensive as a new printer.

Second: For what you say I gather that the faulty black is not printing at all ?. You should post a scan of the nozzle check, so we could see exactly the problem.
Avoid deep cleanings and perform only one normal cleaning followed by a nozzle check. Let the printer rest in between.

If normal cleanings don’t help, you might try manual cleaning removing the printhead and putting in a bowl with half an inch of distilled water with some drops of dishwasher and/or Windex. Leave it several hours. The procedure has been described in many threads of this forum. See if the nozzle check in the black (matte or photo ? ) channel improves progressively. You may also pour some drops of distilled water with dishwasker over the inlet port where you saw the dried ink. Don't force the liquid with a syringe, just drip it slowly. Repeat if necessary. Be patient, You know, leaving the machine idle for long periods is a recipe for clogs, specially on very dry ambient conditions.

In the worst of cases, if the black channel is unrecoverable, you can buy a new printhead. If you’re in the USA, Canon sells them directly, I think. In Europe there’re several reliable vendors : E-parts in France, CRC Tasktron in the UK or C1 supplies in Germany.

Even if you’ll end up fixing the problem in your current printhead, it wouldn’t be a bad idea having a spare at hand in case it failed in the future. We never know when Canon will decide to discontinue the item with the subsequent skyrocketing of the price.

Last edited:

figs

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
Great!
I will try all of the above.
Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Along with all the good advice from @Artur5, I’d also flood the purge unit (Parking station) with Windex and let that sit to see if the liquid drains away quickly, slowly or not at all, repeat this test if necessary.

It’s also good advice to give the carts a good shaking before installing them in the printer, and whatever you do DON’T be tempted to print any Tests Sheets until you can resolve your current situation, only Nozzle checks are acceptable…