OMG! This really sucks!

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83rHjIozbU

I am pretty sure that this vid is true cause i had a couple of HPs with 3color carts. But is it the same with the new single ink canon like Hp's printers? What about the officejet products?

Any idea about how to stop all maggior printer manufacturers of choosing how we spend our ink we buy with our money?
I mean, i don't want any kind of cleaning cycle because i am not a dump and i can see by myself if 2-3-5 nozzles are clogged.
I want to be the ONE who decide when to clean-dump-waste ink, not THEM!

Maybe a petition .... http://www.petitiononline.com/

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes it's an old video, probably HP propaganda -- too professional looking to be made by a 3rd party.

However, it still lives: I've noticed, in discussions in other forums especially local ones in my country, that it is often used by refill shopkeepers because they make most of their profit by HP cartridges since they are harder to refill reliably than Canon.

Example discussion:

- A guy asks how to refill his Canon tanks
- The refill shopkeeper claims they can only be refilled with expensive vacuum equipment or at a refill shop
- I post a link to the German method
- The OP figures out how easy it is and reports back
- Hastily, the refill shopkeeper claims that such tricks are amateurish and also Canons suck because of [this video]

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, if i judge of my ip4600 i can surely say that the new canon are even worse :(
My old Hp 6122 was a masterpiece!

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The IP4600 was a dream. When you disabled ink monitoring it actually stopped the unnecessary "cleaning" cycles. My sneaking suspicion is that the IP4700, which is functionally identical to the IP4600, was quickly rolled out right after to combat refillers. It's the exact same printer but when I got it to replace my IP4600 which burned it's printhead out, I realized it went through an even longer preflight checklist than the IP4600 and disabling ink monitoring actually increased the unnecessary "cleaning" cycles to the point where it cleaned itself before printing when you turned it on and subsequently every 4-5 photos. It literally drank ink so much I was forced to refill every week and only printed a couple dozen photos per week.

HP is so much better now than Canon. Because the print head is built in to the cartridge it's like they actually encourage you to keep printing after the low ink warning as running these cartridges dry destroys them, burning out printheads or trapping air in the passages. After that refilling is near impossible. But the trick is to never let the cartridge run out. Just keep topping it off. I've had cartridges last 50+ refills like this. HP is now the king of easy refills in my list as Canon has made theirs so refill unfriendly.

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
The IP4600 was a dream. When you disabled ink monitoring it actually stopped the unnecessary "cleaning" cycles.
Well,i disabled the ink monitoring ( i think) but it didn't stop the cleaning cycles. How do you stop it? I use a mac and did it by pressing the "load" button for 5 secs when the second led blinking 5 times ( empty cartridge0

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When I used my ip4700 with a CISS unit (ink monitoring disabled) it was the cleanest printer in my fleet.
I only had to turn it on and it went straight to the bathroom for more than 5 minutes and when left idle between print jobs it did the same.

Now that I run it on OEM cartridges with ARC chips its not that noticeable (about two minutes)
and its ready to go with no cleaning between print jobs.
Later I will be using the original OEM chips and the cleaning cycles will be reduced even further (just got a resetter).:)

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
geocha said:
qwertydude said:
The IP4600 was a dream. When you disabled ink monitoring it actually stopped the unnecessary "cleaning" cycles.
Well,i disabled the ink monitoring ( i think) but it didn't stop the cleaning cycles. How do you stop it? I use a mac and did it by pressing the "load" button for 5 secs when the second led blinking 5 times ( empty cartridge0
On the IP4600 all inks must have the monitoring disabled before the cleaning cycles are reduced. After that then I notice it only goes through one long cycle on start up and hardly ever in between print jobs. Also the firmware might be different on the European models that they always clean themselves. On the US models everyone else with the IP4600 knows it wastes less ink when the monitoring is disabled.

But that all changed when the IP4700 was introduced that model punished refillers by instituting numerous and very long cleaning cycles on startup and in between print jobs. That's why I now only deal with HP and Epson with CISS. HP has short startups and Epson only moderately longer. Both don't clean between batches of printing. The Epson though when put on a manual clean cycle like when I have a clog boy does that drain the ink fast.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure about HP's shorter startups. In my workplace we have a large HP MFC that uses #88 ink tanks and takes ages to start printing.

But I need to know: did the ip4700 start the extended cleaning cycles after you've disabled ink monitoring or it was doing from the beginning ?

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos said:
I am not sure about HP's shorter startups. In my workplace we have a large HP MFC that uses #88 ink tanks and takes ages to start printing.

But I need to know: did the ip4700 start the extended cleaning cycles after you've disabled ink monitoring or it was doing from the beginning ?
Well, i could wait 10-20-30 more seconds but i can't accept that all the ink goes down the drain :(
My HP 6122 was a wonderful printer! hp 78 and 45 carts! Easy to refill, specially the 45! I think that the single ink system is much worst than the AIO 3 color cart!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
panos But I need to know: did the ip4700 start the extended cleaning cycles after you've disabled ink monitoring or it was doing from the beginning ?
My ip4700 just done a quick clean at start-up a minute or so I guess and about a twenty second one between print jobs.
I would suggest however if someone was considering using a CISS on this printer that it would be a lot less wasteful
(both on ink and time) if it was fitted with ARC chips instead of disabling the ink monitoring as I did.

But you would still get the usual two minute wash and shave every time you turned on the printer
because of the ARC chips i.e. (new cartridges installed)..