Old Canon Pixma iP4200 is Most Clog Free

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My iP4200 isn't really that old, but it is no longer in production. That qualifys it for being called old by some.

I find that this printer truly is the most clog free that I have owned. It has never failed a nozzle check test print. It has withstood a couple of 5 week idle periods and several week long idle periods and still run a perfect nozzle test every time. I have never put on the software that prints pages periodically to prevent clogs. Seems I don't need it.

Canon has obviously done a great job of the parking and sealing up of the printhead. Those light cleaning cycles which are built in to the printer's routine probably help too.

Two prior printers, by a different manufacturer, were always a problem due to clogging. They could never stand a week long idle period without requiring a large amount of heavy cleaning. I think I used as much ink cleaning the head as I did printing on the last one. Eventually they clogged permanently. Thanks to this forum, I now know that I might have been able to clean those heads. But why keep doing that, when my iP4200 will do so much better and may not require nearly so much work to keep it happy.

Some day, when my iP4200 is truly old from printing a very many pages, it will probably require a head cleaning. But when that time comes, I expect that after the cleaning it will again run a great many pages and withstand long idle periods without clogging up.

Your comments and experiences are certainly wanted.

Canonfodder

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Good to hear.I bought 3(three!) at CCity on closeout for $39.95 each.Sold the ink and thus the printers are free.I'm still using my MP780.When it quits,I'll fire up a 4200(haven't even used one yet).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well I've been into one school that I've had three seperate iP4200's in for about 6 months now and they are going through ink like it's going out of fashion and in a rather challenging environment (ie: computer lab = high heat levels + air con' = low humidity!) but despite that they're running very nicely indeed.

I did a little calculation of their ink usage too and in the last 5 weeks alone they've used over 150ml of each colour and 400ml of black pigment on EACH printer... Imagine that lot if they'd been printing using cartridges instead of a CIS... Scarey!