OK, so I removed the printhead.

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
First I watched this video by a fellow apparently trying to break his printer in as many simultaneous ways as possible: https://youtu.be/isOCwleSZLM

Then I looked around and found that the cartridge carriage of my Pixma MG6650 actually comes out fairly easily. I just pulled it gently but firmly towards me, and the printhead tilted out neatly. It's now sitting in a plastic tray on a paper towel soaked in printhead cleaner, and I occasionally apply a drop of cleaner to the inlet ports and let it soak in.

How am I doing so far? Have I made any printer-breaking errors yet? Where do I go from here? Please walk me through it. The two big questions so far:

1. How long do I soak it?
2. How long do I need to dry it?
3. Anything special I should do before I reinstall?

By the way, that @websnail guy? Excellent customer service. Just sayin'.

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Well, I've dribbled a fair amount of cleaning fluid through it and soaked it until it seems there's no more color coming out. I'll leave it to dry until tomorrow afternoon, and see if I have a printer that works when I reinstall it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Only thing I'd say is don't let it dry out completely as that can allow junk to cement itself back into the head... It's really only the electronics in the rear (circuitboard, etc..) that needs to be dry.

Appreciate the vote of confidence too...
Rumours that I have printed the comment and framed it on my wall are completely unfounded... ;)