Offset problem showing up on alternate head passes

Pagebook

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is my initial post to the forum although I've been following the forum for a long time.
I have a long history with Canon i560s and ip3000s which I use with under $2.00 compatible cartridges. When I'm printing a catalog I run three printers simultaneously taking great care not to let any cartridges run out. I've had some remarkably long problem free periods, and but I've sure had a lot of printhead problems.

Recently a printing problem showed up which I had never seen before. Oddly it showed up almost simultaneously on two different printers and then a little bit later on a third. I have a test page of rectangular color swatches which I print to judge how well my printers are performing. On the problem printers the magenta color swatches showed very noticeable pass banding and bands 1,3,5,7 (made with the head going one direction) were slightly offset to the right of bands 2,4,6,8 (made with the head going in the other direction). The yellow, cyan and black swatches looked normal. This certainly suggests that the magenta ink may have caused the problem, but when I put in a set of OEM cartridges the problem didn't go away. In addition to the offset problem, both magenta stripes on the nozzle test output are faded and not very uniform. My guesss is that I have a clogged nozzle problem, but is anyone familiar with the offset pattern ?