Odd target outputs from newest Canon Printers

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've recently been fleshing out the newest MG5420 and Pro-100 printers from Canon and they both are exhibiting some odd traits.
Normally on a target produced by a printer with no color management on, the proper OEM inkset will produce a good series of grays. The ICC profile will then dial it in better for all colors when the corrections from the ICC are applied.
On these newest printers with the OEM inks, the grays are all coming out browns and tans for lighter shades of gray. Other colors are little affected but the grays are intentionally skewed.

Their driver is able to correct this but this is an odd behavior with OEM inks. Very unlike what I have observed before.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So lets get this straight, what youre saying is If you let the printer handle colour
then the OEM grey colours as you would expect come out perfectly fine (Unaffected) but

If you let your Application say (Photo Shop) handle the colour then the (Turned off) print driver puts a spanner in the works
and deliberately disrupts the 3rd party profiling, wow that will lead to some head scratching I bet.

That wont be a problem as far as Im concerned because I always let my printers handle the colour and never turn it off at all;
I like to work within the printer colour management setup itself by just applying a few minor changes..:)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
No, the raw output is nowhere close to what it should be. In the past the raw output was close and the driver/icc fixed it up a little bit. Not anymore.
I think it is this thing called OIG they claim to be using. Essentially it is a tricked up ICC something meant to do something special. Exactly what? I can't tell. There's a lot of mumbo jumbo in their marketing materials.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
What is this OIG? Have you tried print using Qimage with no color management?

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
from Canon's web site:
The Optimum Image Generating (OIG) System utilizes two major technologies implemented in the PIXMA PRO-1 Professional Inkjet Printer. The first is a sophisticated mixing balance of inks determined from numerous ink combinations and advanced analysis. During this analysis, the OIG System carefully calculates the best results for each print mode and paper type used while looking at various image factors including color reproduction, tonal gradations, black density, low graininess, glossiness, anti-bronzing and anti-metamerism. These critical ink balancing principles are derived from Canons expertise in imaging technology, as well as the familiar colors of life that people see and remember on a daily basis. The second is the balancing of color reproduction, tonal gradations, and uniform glossiness. The genius and power of the OIG System is truly showcased when your image is printed, exhibited, and is seen exactly as you envisioned it.

I wonder if this OIG is just a new method Canon is using to prevent using third party inks and papers (by not being able to properly profile the printer). I'm pretty sure you've thought of this already, but have you tried looking for updated drivers on the canon web site to make sure it's not a bug? You might also want to try the Printfab driver as well (google for it). It uses a different ink mixing algorithm than Canon and it seems they have support for the Pro-100. Printfab is in free beta right now... if grays are more neutral in "no color correction" mode with Printfab, we'll know Canon is up to no good.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It profiles, but I really have to wonder why the non neutral grey in the first place.
The OIG to my mind achieves the same as an ICC profile....just a fancy name maybe?