non-functioning left button 932 Deskjet

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I have a fresh color cart installed. The printer itself is old, but very clean at a local thrift shop. It had only printed about 30-40 prints. Has printed faultlessly the past few years.

Was trying to print using the various buttons, but anything involving pressing the left button will not print. Tried unplugging the printer's cable and also the power chord for about an hour to let any stray signal work itself out. That didn't work either.

Suggestions are welcome! Thank you.

Paul

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess you mean that the left push button marked with an X is not working? I have got an HP DJ 930 which is very similar or identical to the HP DJ 932.

I took off the push button panel, to see if the switch could be cleaned. See figure 1 in this instruction.

Sadly the panel cannot be opened to get access to the switches without causing damage to the panel. Re-assembly would take drilling some very small dia. holes and finding some small self tapping screws.

Here is a photo of the panel, notice melted "nibs" holding the panel together.

HP DJ 930 Switch panel.jpg

Even if you cut the nibs to get access to the switches, they might be hermetically sealed so they cannot be treated with an electronics contact cleaner. I think the best option would be finding another switch panel from another HP DJ 9xx printer.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I did a little search and the button panel is named Keypad and cover assembly C6426-60030. It looks like it is still available, see this.

It might be worth buying the part if the printer is almost as new.

The part is also listed as compatible with the HP DJ 932, see this.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Peter, but that looks to be above my pay grade, as the saying goes. Beautifully presented, excellent photos and comments in red arrows.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm feeling rather sheepish... the third button has no light. There is a third LED but there is no button under it. The third button cancels the print, no need for the third LED. And the third LED does light when the printer goes through various routines listed on the chart.

I have a little chart that shows how various combinations of buttons held down can produce a useful variety of functions to help diagnose what might be wrong. I've searched the 'net for that chart but no can find. May be some reader who knows where that chart can be found.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have a little chart that shows how various combinations of buttons held down can produce a useful variety of functions to help diagnose what might be wrong. I've searched the 'net for that chart but no can find.
Can you scan the chart and then upload the image here?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just scanned it - but will upload later in the day, with some brief instructions.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
.......I have a little chart that shows how various combinations of buttons held down can produce a useful variety of functions to help diagnose what might be wrong. I've searched the 'net for that chart but no can find. May be some reader who knows where that chart can be found.

I think the chart is the list of tap tests for the HP DJ 9xx series of printers. It is found in one of the service manuals where you can read more about its use. The chart is also found in this post.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here's the chart I mentioned earlier, it's not as complete as the ones Peter provided links for. Mine is rather small, and I have it taped to my 932 just below the buttons for convenience.

The way I use it: I hold down the power button (#1) with one finger, then with the other finger(s) tap the #2 or #3 (right to left) buttons as chart requires, then let go to activate the printer. If the code has a hyphen and then a number it means there is no tap required for the #3 button, only the #2 button. The procedure is also listed in Peter's links, it may be clearer than mine.

Here's my chart - hope it helps:

taptest.JPG

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil