No Ink Flow - Epson 1400

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After powering printer up, it goes through the usual start up actions then it stops with the red ink error light on. Status monitor indicates all cartridges are OK. However, there is no sign of ink flowing through the printer head into the waste ink sponge under the carriage parking station.

This printer has not been in use for the past month or so. I've tried both old (but freshly reset) Epson OEM cartridges, as well as a CIS which was working well just before printer died. Even though the Epson OEM cartridges are old, I checking by weight & they appear to have ink in them. I've already put some cleaning fluid (Windex/alcohol) through the ink ports on the printer head using the syringe/rubber hose trick. Fluid went through the head OK.

Regardless, running cleaning cycles manually or the Status Monitor, or printing via software there is no movement any ink through the head. Although I don't understand exactly how they work, it almost seems like the head has lost it's prime so the peizo pump isn't able to pump ink - just air.

Does anyone have any ides how I might be able to get the ink moving through the head again?

Best regards, Richard

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The cleaning routine doesn't actually make much (if any) use of nozzle firing but instead relies on the pump to suck ink out of the printhead via the parking pad with its rubber skirt that creates the requisite seal around the printhead nozzles.

If you're getting nothing through the waste ink system I have to question whether the pump is working anymore or if the wrong tube end has been disconnected when installing the waste ink kit.

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Websnail,

Just that statement helps me better understand the operation of the waste ink system. From observation & some screw driver manual tests at the end of the CDR lock/pump motor shaft, I know that it electrically rotates CCW OK. I also know that if I manually turn the pump motor clockwise, I can see cleaning fluid (placed in the sponge pad by syringe) being moved through the waste ink tube to the external waste ink bottle. So I can be assured that the pump motor still runs (at least CCW) & it's tubing is probably OK.

Knowing this much tells us that the failure to move ink through the print head is a separate issue but perhaps related to the print head malfunction. So let's change direction & try to diagnose that first. The Status Monitor indicates that the cartridges have ink, but it isn't being pumped/moved into & through the print head in response to software commands to print. By the way, I also know that it can move paper from the tray, through & out of it - but nothing is being printed on it.

Can you or some one else tell me the operating principles of the printer head? For instance, how does the print head get ink from the cartridges & how does it know how/where to deposit it on the paper?

Best regards, Richard

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If the pump is working my next port of call would be the parking pad itself...

There's a thin rubber skirt that runs around this area which helps seal it against the bottom of the printhead and then allow ink to be drawn through the nozzles. If the skirt is compromised and air is able to rush in instead of ink then it's not going to effectively clean the nozzles.

Just to note though that I'm basing this on experience with other printers so I may have something wrong with the 1400 but I doubt it...

I'm also not sure if the process of moving the parking pad still involves an upward or left/right motion so this too may be something to check into...

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The parking pad actually utilizes two motions when the carriage docks. First, when the carriage goes to the full right position, the pad is also moved to the right to keep both of them in correct alignment. Then, as the docking is completed, the carriage is lowered onto the parking pad. Regardless, I'm convinced that those functions will work OK - so I am ignoring waste ink collection for now.

The major hurdle keeping this printer from actually printing lies in another area of operation. If interested, here is a link to Yahoo forum which is addressing that issue.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EPSON_Printers/message/57923

Best regards, Richard

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
rckowal said:
The parking pad actually utilizes two motions when the carriage docks. First, when the carriage goes to the full right position, the pad is also moved to the right to keep both of them in correct alignment. Then, as the docking is completed, the carriage is lowered onto the parking pad. Regardless, I'm convinced that those functions will work OK - so I am ignoring waste ink collection for now.

The major hurdle keeping this printer from actually printing lies in another area of operation. If interested, here is a link to Yahoo forum which is addressing that issue.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EPSON_Printers/message/57923

Best regards, Richard
I was going to forward that to you Richard, but then remembered you're on there anyway... Does seem like Epson over-engineered this aspect of things though doesn't it...