Newest / highest model Canon multifunctions that take bci 6 cartridge?

horsecharles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have searched high & low web & here: ctually trying to find out which non-discontinued all in ones(if any) take that cartridge-- btw for the standalones highest is ip3000/6000?

Many thanks in advance-- & profuse apologies if i missed the info somewhere.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To my knowledge no currently produced Canon printer uses the BCI-3&6 cartridges.

But the recent set can be divided into general purpose and photoprinter---most recent models are

General purpose---ip3000, ip4000,ip5000---four or five cartridge models.---and in the MP750,760, & 780 in MP form. Few if any still available in any model number--retail, ebay, or mail order.

Photoprinters---ip6000dm i8500, i9100---six and eight cartridge models.---with the ip6000d still fairly available mail order.

A plethora of older models took the BCI-3& 6 cartridges.

horsecharles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your kind answer Osage.

I read somewhere rumors of some being able to use the inks successfully with newer models.

MP 4500 is the only thing i've seen still being sold...$99 btw...& ip1600 in the other camp....

Kinda hoping for newer features / improvements.....

All the best.

horsecharles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
fyi also applies to ip8500 & i9000(not a misprint).

Found ip1600d @ $99....more reasonable than the lowest respectively of just under $300 & 400 for the top two.

Now to find a scanner...

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To horsecharles,

While printer prices and options are somewhat location specific---$99.00 sounds very overpriced to me on a chipped ip1600---for around $85.00 you should be able to get something like the chipped Canon ip4200 or 4300 which take the much larger CLI-5&8 series of cartridges.---which are very similar sized with the BCI-3&6 series.

At least in MHO, cartridges in the CLI-40 series are too small for practical refilling---but some do refill them.---and you need MP numbers of 500 or above to get the full size CLI-5&8 cartridges.

But a chipped Canon can be refilled with equal ease---the annoyance is over-riding the chips and the threat of voiding the warranty---but those topics are already covered on these forums---and now prefilled cartridges are available in CLI-5&8 cartridges---but you have to transfer the chip from an OEM cartridge.

But if we are going to help you with local market advice we need to your general location---be it the USA--Europe--or elsewhere--because different locations have different suppliers available---and even different Canon models number designations for the exact same printer.

horsecharles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you kindly Osage, & sorry for replying late both times. I didn't post clearly: left out the 1600 price, about half the other one.

You know, due to your encouragement I'll give cli a shot: will be needing more printers elsewhere. Main quandary now that you afford me lots more options, is between getting an MP, or a standalone Canon w/ separate scanner from whomever.

I'm in NYC, but just came back after a year away from civilization(yeah, i know: IS ny civilized? <g> ) ...and feel like in the Twilight Zone: the whole Canon & ink 'scene' morphed totally.

I'm honored re your advice, I'll also try to find some time to bone up on past threads here...have only had a chance to login like once daily(i'll address you: Sensei... Osage San....& of course, I'll be Grasshopper).