Newbie with questions-refill MP780/Clean printhead/supplies.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi,I just found this forum and it is great.I have read many,many posts.I have refilled in the past,but a lot of the info here is new to me.I have a canon MP780(BCi-6) that I plan to use with Hobbicolors cartridges/ink(will actually use the CLI-8 ink.I may also refill some OEM BCi-6 Canon empty cartridges.
My current head is in need of cleaning and I have some questions:
(1)Where does one purchase the clear vinyl tubing(both the larger 3/8" ID for flushing cartridges with water) and the smaller tubing(what size) for fitting over the inlets for each color to flush ink through the printhead?

(2)Where are nitrile "o"-rings available for sealing the screws used in the refill hole in the plastic cartridges(or will the Hobbicolors plastic screw suffice)?And what size is used?

(3)Is Windex with ammonia or alcohol still the preferred flushing solution?
Many thanks for answers! Fred

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Keep that MP780 working as long as you can!

A good hardware supply will have a variety of sizes and types of tubing for making a tool to flush carts. Go easy with forcing water under pressure into the printhead as this can damage the printhead from what I've read. O-rings are available at most hardware stores and are usually in the plumbing department. The difficulty is finding them small enough. I understand that the plastic hobbicolor screws work OK to seal, but I prefer to replace them with stainless steel pan head phillips sheet metal screws as they are pointed and easier to start into the fill hole. I also prefer the phillips head. I believe that ..Grandad uses flathead screws withough O-rings and the tapered shape under the head effects a seal without an O-ring.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks,fotofreek.
I went to Lowes today and they had all sizes of tubing.The 3/8" I.D. stuff for flushing the cartridges (cleaning out with water) slid right inside the piece of garden hose I used,tightly enough that I didn't need any fittings.I wrapped the junction with electrician's tape as added security.The garden hose(a 6" section with female end) screws right on to my laundry sink's faucet.However,most indoor faucets have different threads and may require one adaptor.

I also found all sorts of nylon and stainless steel screws to try for sealing the reservoir hole.Found no decent sized "o" rings,but I really don't need them.

I ended up using #8x1/2" stainless steel sheet-metal screws(flat head phillips).They have a tapered underside which helps get a tight seal against the cartridge.The Phillips style is easier to "start" into the cartridge(and remove).I popped out the round ball out of the CLI-8 OEM's and simply screwed the screws to place.I certainly don't think an O-ring is needed with these screws.It's a firm fit.