Newbie questions about refilling Canon 220/221 (pixma MP620)

slack04

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi- been searching these forums and need a little help navigating, most of the language is beyond me and there's no stickies to explain the basics. Links to forums that answer the questions would be fine.

First, background info: I just bought a canon pixma mp620. The ink cartidges are mostly empty, so I want to refill. I bought a color and black refill kit about a year ago for a dell 946 AIO printer. That printer died, but I still have mostly-full bottles.

1) Can I use the refill ink in the canon 220/221 cartridges?
2) There are two black cartridges: PGI-220BK and CLI-221BK. I assume the "PG" means pigment. Which of these can I refill with the refill kit ink?
3) I'm sure there's guides already made, can anyone provide a link to a guide to refill these cartridges? I see many mentions of the "german method" but I can't figure out what that is. guides?
4) Am I just better off buying a refill kit (with the cartridge chip resetter and reusable cartridges) than trying to use these old original cartridges? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction for which one I want? Amazon.com would be rad.

Thank so much in advance. I appreciate that there's this type of forum and so many helpful people!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
slack04Am I just better off buying a refill kit (with the cartridge chip resetter and reusable cartridges) than trying to use these old original cartridges?
Use compatible cartridge by all means but there not the best for refilling.

Stay with your OEM 220/221 cartridges (there are the best) as they will refill again and again
with very few problems and probably last longer that your printer.

Get yourself some good quality ink and a resetter then read up on one of the ways to refill
by following the link that iP4XXX posted for you. Ok..:)