Newbie Question about ink and printhead

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi all

What can happen If I put a cart in the wrong place ?

Reason I am asking is that I managed to find some grey ink for the MP980 but it looks black and want to try it (in the grey cart). The grey original cart in the MP980 also looks black that's why I want to try.

Thank You !

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The printer will tell you that it is a wrong cartridge. I will refuse to print. Just take it out and have your correct one back in. Nothing else will happen. There should be no harm to anything.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Also you may want to run a cleaning cycle after installing the correct cartridge just to flush out any possible further contamination.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

but let's say I refill the grey cart with black and did some prints. then i refill the grey with correct grey ink, will some cleaning cycles correct the issue ?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Nope it'll print, but the wrong color neither black or the proper gray. You've contaminated the whole cartridge, only fix is to rinse the cartridge out completely, let it dry and then fill with the correct ink.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Ok Thanks,

so basically I have to flush the Cart, Let it dry, refill with correct ink, clean print head.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Correct, flush the cart well too, until the water comes out clear.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thank You !! . . It's loud & Clear :)