New user looking for appropriate tools/system for refillng cartridges.

now.deal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Forum Memebers;

My question is regarding refill systems for new users. I am a new business owner who is looking to offer refills to my client base; up until now I've been selling remans and compatibles but I think it's time to take the business to the next level and offer my customers the benefit of low priced refills.. I've been successful in refilling Lexmark 16s, 50s and 60s by hand using refill kits but I'm not sure if this is the best way to move my business forward. I have had troubles with my HP cartridges but I trust it has everything to do with the lack of miles on my refill odometer.. Ultimately I want to lower my failure rate out the gate as it could be detrimental to the success of my business if I have serveral refill issues.

Is it possible to successfully refill cartridges by hand until revenue and volume increases to the point where I can justify a system and if so, is there a manual that can be purchased or downloaded that provide the necessary list of tools and tricks required? Or is there a recommended low cost, well recieved, refill system that can be purchased as an interim solution then augmented or replaced with a superior unit later when revenue increases?

Thank you so very much in advance.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If I were thinking about starting the business you are proposing, I would check out the advice and products sold by Mick Carlotta at:

http://users.adelphia.net/~inkprocessusa/index.html

Mick has a lot of free articles to advise you mainly on automatic or semi-automatic machines which he sells, but you can learn a lot about manual refilling too. I am convinced he knows what he is talking about. I wouldn't even look at the competition. Understanding what he has to offer will give you good insight on where you must eventually go if your business succeeds. If it looks like too much risk for you now, I wouldn't even embark on it manually. Just my opinion.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Good luck in your new endeavors. You will find that refilling HP cartridges are among the easiest to refill, once you have practice. A good place for printable instructions is here:

http://www.bs-print.co.uk/Inkjet_Cartridge_Refilling_Instructions.htm

Be advised that the refilling business is getting harder as manufacturers move to chipped cartridges. However, there is a substantial market still for older models.

Use good quality inks, not the 'generic" ink that come in refill kits..it's worth it. And, use bottom fillers whenever possible. Once you know your market, but a few cheap test printers on eBay for the models you will be refilling often. One lexmark can be adjusted to test many models, for example, and you won't have many returns this way.

E-mail me if you need any help...I'll offer any advice that I can, and I'm sure others here will be happy to help!!

now.deal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for the valuable information. I look forward to learning curve and minimizing the risk factor.