New printhead or entirely new printer?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I agree that ink is being mis-ejected. This could very possibly be the signs of nozzle plate wear-out, which only a new print head will correct.

Wayne

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know what would wear out the nozzle plate, it doesn't touch anything, except ink and I never heard of any nozzle plate wearing out.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The base action of flash boiling of water erodes even the hardest of materials...and flash boiling is EXACTLY what occurs in a thermal print head. The effect is similar to mechanical cavitation damage in water pumps and hydro-turbines.

Wayne

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback :). I guess replacing the printhead does not guarantee that all problems WILL be solved.

I believe the most printhead problems were caused during the first 2 years I've had this 610. I was using a lot of "fake" inks from 123inkt.nl, like nearly everybody else in Holland. And by fake I mean compatible ink of poor quality. I didn't really start cleaning the printhead until I bumped into this site, which is since last year. Most of the damage must have been done in those early years.

Replacing the head has 1 more advantage, I still have refill supplies from Octoink. Which are of no use to the most recent Pixma. Shame to throw it away... so I'm still tempted to go for the new printhead. I'll report back with a fresh nozzle check print if I do.