CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yeah, I goofed up the email newsletter :(

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm having rather frequent irregular connection dropouts to the printerknowledge forum server, just a few minutes ago again for about 10 minutes. It happens already since weeks and months - more frequently since the start of the new forum software version. Am I the only one ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
frequent irregular connection dropouts
Frustrating.

Are you using a wireless connection? "Dropouts" is a term usually referencing wireless connections.

Please describe what you are experiencing.

I do not recall connection issues with the forum since the upgrade of the software. If they did occur it would have been so rare as to be forgettable. :idunno

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
it's a fixed connection, not wireless, I'll do a screen print next time, but it does not tell me much other than that the connection is not available , not an error 404 or something, it's several times a week e.g. during editing my last postings

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It just happened again - for about a minute - and again after a few minutes for 5 minutes - Page not found - please try again later - connections to other sites via other tabs are not affected.

PK01.JPG

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
It just happened again - for about a minute - and again after a few minutes for 5 minutes - Page not found - please try again later - connections to other sites via other tabs are not affected.

View attachment 9638
Thanks for the screenshot!

I'm not seeing anything on our end, but I'll keep digging.

Anybody else getting a similar page / screen?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If this were a 404 error then the issue would more likely be the forum server. However, as you said, there isn't enough info to determine what is going on, just some suggestions, such as to check your network connection.

Makes me wonder if what server or node is having problems resolving addresses, or, maybe under attack like a Denial of Service attack.

I go to a web site that also intermittently craps out, in fact it occurred this morning. Sometimes by hitting reload a time or two finally resolves the page.

I see you use Firefox. Have you (and @The Hat) tried a different web browser?

If you want you can ping and/or traceroute when the problem occurs to see if and where the problem may arise.
  • You will need to know the IP Address of the site you are trying to reach. An IP Address is numbers arranged like 111.111.111.111. Use a DNS Lookup online tool like https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx. Enter the Domain Name of the website you want to know the IP Address - in this case "printerknowledge.com" is the Domain Name. Copy the resultant IP Address found.
  • Paste the IP Address into a Ping tool such as https://www.ipaddressguide.com/ping to see if the location is accessible/working and how long it takes to get there and back.
  • If the Ping does not resolve (work) then you can roughly see where the Ping stops while in transit to/from the IP Address entered by using a Traceroute tool such as https://whatismyipaddress.com/traceroute-tool. This website can take a few seconds to work, so be patient.
  • Once you know how to use these online tools and see where the problem appears to be then you can report to Nifty your findings.
In the meantime, maybe @Nifty can look on his end. Server software may have applications that log events that would show issues or able to diagnose certain issues.

BTW, I haven't typed or written in German since high school German language class. So many letters in words!

Edit:
While I was assembling and writing this post AND making applesauce, Nifty has posted he's already on the job!