New printer for decals

olive71

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am currently using a Canon 4600 to produce custom waterslide decals. However I'm now looking at new printers that use pigment based inks, particularly the Epson R2000 or R3000.

Can anyone tell me if these Ultrachrome inks will work well with decal paper? I'm particularly interested in how waterproof and opaque they are.

Ideally I need a printer with inks that are totally opaque, waterproof and have a white option, but with the demise of Alps printers the alternatives for decals are now unfortunately very limited.

Thanks for any help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
olive71 said:
I am currently using a Canon 4600 to produce custom waterslide decals. However I'm now looking at new printers that use pigment based inks, particularly the Epson R2000 or R3000.

Can anyone tell me if these Ultrachrome inks will work well with decal paper? I'm particularly interested in how waterproof and opaque they are.

Ideally I need a printer with inks that are totally opaque, waterproof and have a white option, but with the demise of Alps printers the alternatives for decals are now unfortunately very limited.

Thanks for any help.
Youd want to be careful choosing your next printer with pigment inks.
Pick the decal to suit the pigment inks and not the inks to suit the decal..:)

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
olive71 said:

Thanks for any help.
Your comment about Alps printers reminds me of buying four recondition Alps 1000 printer from Alps many years ago. I think I still have three unopened boxes that came from Alps. How time flies, and interests change.
Al