New options that we would like to see in Inkjet Stuff Forum

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I thought it might be a good idea to start a suggestions section. And believe it or not I have a suggestion.

Is it possible to set up a weekly email that goes out to participants who sign up to show the lastest posts from say the previous week. This would help those of us who participate in more then one forum.

I just noticed the subscribe to this topic below, just exactly what does that do? Maybe I am asking for something that already exists! I love this site and all of the useful information in it.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Bob, suggestions are a form of feedback, so you are in the right spot! I really appreciate feedback in all of its forms, and will do what I can to accommodate requests and suggestions.

I chose this forum application among a plethora of applications. This one doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" that many of the other popular forum programs do, but it is very fast, small, efficient, and user friendly. I needed something that wouldn't bog down my server as the forum becomes more and more popular.

Regarding your suggestion, here are a few things you can do:

1) At the top right of the index page there is a link that will "Show new posts since last visit".
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/search.php?action=show_new

2) At the bottom of the index page I've setup a "Recent Topics" list. This is where I usually go when I visit the forum to see what is new.

3) Subscribe to topics: This is one of the BEST and most often used features of the forum. When you select "Subscribe to this topic" at the bottom of a forum thread you will get email notifications when someone replies to that thread. The great feature of this tool is that you only get ONE notification via email no matter how many replies have been posted to that thread. If you no longer want to get notifications you can toggle on / off this option on each thread.

I'm working on a way to get more notifications on new posts. For example, I'd like to include the option to have the "subscribe to topic" set as yes for the default whenever someone replies to a post. Another idea would be to "subscribe to category" which would send you an email whenever someone creates a new topic / thread.

Until then, I suggest you subscribe to all the topics you think are interesting or that you start so you can be notified when there is a reply!

I'll look into other solutions. If you (or anybody else) have more comments, questions, or suggestions, please send them in.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
By the way, here is the email I got from a thread you replied to of which I was subscribed:

rjr3684 has replied to the topic 'Canon Driver Update' to which you are subscribed. There may be more new replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit the board again.

The message reads as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob: You mentioned you had a conflict with you CD writing when you installed service pack II. I am having the same problem could you email me the solution you found. I don't want to start a series of posts for this unless you think its OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The post is located at http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1234#p1234

You can unsubscribe by going to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

--
Inkjet Printer Forum / Inkjet Refill Forum Mailer
(Do not reply to this message)

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Rob after 2 years of constant web browsing and forum "lurking" this is the only
one I post to, it is a job well done and you should give your self a pat on the back
same goes to Grandad.well done.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Gosh Craig, as I keep telling you guys this forum is great because of ya'll. I just put the software together and convinced Neil to move from blahoo.... er um... Yahoo. :p A little bit of creative page linking to get Google to send some people this way helps a bit too.

If it wasn't for all you cool people I'd just be sittin' here talking to myself.... which my wife says I do from time to time. ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
FYI: I updated the code so when you click the "Show recent posts" from the bottom of the home page it will show all topics replied to in the last 72 hours (it use to show 24 hours).

A suggestion: Replace the bookmark in your browser to be this "recent posts" page instead of the home page:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/search.php?action=show_24h

rjr3684

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As usual you have given me a lot to think about and to do. Keep up the good work!