New Monitor - Any experience with Dell UP2720Q 4K for editing?

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So, as noted in a previous thread (Lost it all, starting over - Recommendations?) - I'm looking to replace one of the three displays I had. Where I'm currently staying there's no room for 3 displays, so one will have to suffice. Based on current research, it looks like a Dell UP2720Q 4K would cover my needs now and for quite some time in the future. Anyone have experience with this or similar? Other suggestions? (BTW - I'm looking at a factory refurbished at $1000 off the retail).
Thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From Dell on this monitor:

CalMAN® Readyi:
This monitor works seamlessly with CalMAN software (sold separately) to perform a variety of tasks, including calibrations with a built-in or an external colorimeter.

Don't know about the current versions, but, CalMAN software has historically been terrific calibration software.

Whether you need it or not is a reasonable question.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Not got that specific model but my earlier Dell U2715 IPS units have been wonderful to work with.

I honestly wonder if a 27" 4K monitor is worth the money though... Why not go for something larger where the 4K makes a bit more sense.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
IMHO 4K monitors are a waste of money for photo editing, on sizes up to 30". On a 24" monitor, the pixel size is so small that, at 100% magnification, you won't be able to assess the actual sharpness of a photo unless you put your nose literally on the screen or use a loupe. You need to upsize to 200%, to get the same visual perception of a 2K monitor at 100%.
Same thing of course with phones. My current smartphone has a 6" screen size and a resolution of 2340 x 1280 pixels. This is an absurdly high density. At a viewing distance of 6-8" from the screen, 1170 x 540pix would be good enough. Not even people with a hawk eye would see the difference, but marketing want us to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000 - PX720 - P50
Anyone have experience with this or similar? Other suggestions? (BTW - I'm looking at a factory refurbished at $1000 off the retail).
Thanks!

Hi Bob,

I recently bought a Dell UP2720Q to replace my aging (but still working) U2410. It was a difficult decision...let me share my thoughts without going into the discussion if 4k resolution is needed or not.

Positive:

- The widest color gamut I have ever measured on a display. The PFS-phosphor-based backlight is very stable, as well.
- High contrast ratio for an IPS panel. I measured 1150:1 with uniformity compensation off and 1050:1 with UC on.
- Very uniform brightness and color over the panel surface. It seems besides software correction, Dell uses natively uniform displays in this monitor
- Pleasing semi-gloss surface. Much better than my U2410.
- Near perfect gradations in all display modes
- The built-in calibration function works quickly and is a pleasure to use
- Tons of connections
- Monitor hood included

Negative:

- Pronounced viewing-angle dependent color shifts. Heads-on, a pure white screen looks white. Moving slightly left or right introduces a distinct pinkish hue. I am not sure how other modern wide-gamut IPS monitors perform in this regard, but my old Dell U2410 is much more stable.
- Some backlight bleeding visible on the bottom of the screen.
- Stuck pixels: I could try 6 samples, 2 of them were perfect, the others had 15-30 bright stuck pixels
- Dell's supporting software is a mess, as usual: it took me 2 days to figure out why I did not get an ICC profile installed after performing a hardware calibration, only to find out that the latest software version of Dells Color Management app is faulty. After downloading an earlier version, things were ok.
- The factory calibrations are not done for D65, but have a slightly colder white point (at the new white point, everything is very accurate.
- The internal colorimeter results in yet another white point (but again, all very accurate for that WP)
- CalMAN for Dell is not for sale in my country although it is being advertised everywhere.
- Without CalMAN, you cannot use your own calibration hardware (DUCCS is not supported)
- Dell support was unable to answer any of my questions. They were absolutely clueless about technical topics (ICC profile generation) and had no idea about the status of their supporting software (CalMAN).

My main requirements were a full sRGB + adobeRGB + DCI-P3 coverage, high contrast ratio, good display homogeneity and access to the monitors calibration LUTs. The obvious choice here is the Eizo CS2740, but that would have cost me > 1600 Euro (hood incl.). The Dell was <1200 Euro, which I think is still on the high side for what you get.

In the end, it is a decent display. The angular hue shift is a problem, so is the lack of any support. I suppose the Eizo is better, but you'll pay more.

Hope this helps,
Wim

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000 - PX720 - P50
Was this even for Tier 2 or greater level technical support? If so then shame on Dell.

When asking specific questions regarding their built-in colorimeter, all I got was "sorry Sir, we do not have a support channel for the colorimeter. You have to ask the manufacturer, but we cannot tell you who that is".

Regarding CalMAN: "CalMAN for Dell is not for sale in your country". Interesting, as it is supposed to be the main optional feature for this monitor and advertised everywhere is being the bee's knees...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, it is, actually. This must be a new addition to their website :)
Maybe your posts in the forum were read by Dell, or, it was your telephone call to Dell, that provoked Dell to act. ;):woot