New Lexmark ID app spots counterfeit cartridges using your smartphone.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
I think it's more than ok. Thumbs up for Lexmark!
If I pay big bucks for an OEM cartridge... I want it to be OEM, brand new, not refilled by someone and sold as new.
As for the refilling business and generic cartridges... why would it have any impact on it? It targets counterfeit cartridges, not legitimate businesses.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I could never see that App catching on, I mean why someone would go to the bother.
I think it would be easy to pick out the genuine OEM cartridge its the elephant in the room after all, the price is a dead giveaway..:lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've been watching the increasing use of keywords like "counterfeit" on twitter and from some of the industry news sources with interest and it seems that in some parts of the world this is becoming an increasing problem.

The middle east in particular seems to get a lot of reports of counterfeit consumables being seized so it may simply be that there's a less organised supply chain in those areas so that fakes can get through. It's probably going to be less of an issue in the USA and parts of Europe but if you stop to think about sellers on eBay, Amazon, etc... you realise that someone could get fake consumables into the supply chain purporting to be OEMs and make a killing doing it.

So, it may seem a bit dumb now but whereas reman' and other third party consumables can pull in some money, if you stop to think about what margins you'd get on counterfeit (if you stooped that low!) well, it's a no brainer... Some folks are going to take the chance and coin it in until there's a knock at the door.

Expect more on this I suspect...