New Kirkland 4x6 Glossy Photopaper

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I went to Costco today and found that they now have a new Kirkland brand professional glossy photopaper in 4x6 size. The price is $14 for 300 sheets. Picked up one box and rushed to try it on my ip8500. I found this photopaper not the same as those in 8x11 125 sheet $19 boxes. It has the words made in USA (wow!) on the box. The 8x11 125 sheet box is made in Switzerland. By looking at the surface it is not as glossy, nor as thick as the 8x11. It also looks a little yellowish (warmer) then the 8x11. Hummmm... I feel being cheated because the box has a same look as the 8x11. It made me think it being the same before I picked it up.

Well, I noticed something good about this paper. It is waterproof. I sunk a sheet of print deep into water for a few seconds and foud no smearing of ink at all just like Canon Photopaper Plus and Prophoto Paper. A few minutes later when the print dried I found no damage detectable again just like Canon's paper.

I can be sure that this paper is completely different from the 8x11 paper although they are both named Kirkland Professional Photopaper. It is waterproof but the 8x11 paper is not. It is not as thick as the 8x11 and appears a little yellowish. If you have custom profiles for the 8x11 paper you will need a different one for this paper. This type of paper I believe is resin coated and that's why it's waterproof. There aren't many manufacturers make resin coated inkjet photopaper. Canon and Konica are two that I know of. Kodak is said to have resin coated photopaper too but I have not seen any on retail shelves. I guess chance is very good this paper is either Kodak or Konica. Since it says it's made in USA. Is it Kodak?

Anyone tried this paper yet? I probably will pick up another box if I still like it in the next few days.

HPNETSERVER
Canon ip8500 with Hobbicolors ink and carts.
Kirkland Professional Photopaper
HP Deskjet with plain paper

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I bought two packages and printed about 30+ prints. Skin tones come out a bit on the yellow/orange side as compared with the original 8.5x11 Kirkland paper. Otherwise it is very nice with a good glossy surface, good weight, no bronzing, and comes out of the printer with a pretty dry feel. I still prefer the whiter base color of the 8.5x11 paper but will use this for snapshot prints to give to family and friends.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This Kirkland 4x6 paper is waterproof just like Canon's. I believe it is resin coated just like traditional photpaper. You can dip it in water, rinse it and once dried it suffers no damage. Is this paper as archival as Canon's or is it going to be similar? Does any one know the advantage as well as disadvantage of resin coated inkjet photopaper like this one? Kodak announced its resin coated professional photopaper back a year ago. But have not seen any on retail shelves anywhere yet. Konica has had it for a long time. It's a bit more expensive. This Kirkland 4x6 is cheap comparing to Konica's.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
hpnetserver said:
This Kirkland 4x6 paper is waterproof just like Canon's. I believe it is resin coated just like traditional photpaper. You can dip it in water, rinse it and once dried it suffers no damage. Is this paper as archival as Canon's or is it going to be similar? Does any one know the advantage as well as disadvantage of resin coated inkjet photopaper like this one? Kodak announced its resin coated professional photopaper back a year ago. But have not seen any on retail shelves anywhere yet. Konica has had it for a long time. It's a bit more expensive. This Kirkland 4x6 is cheap comparing to Konica's.
What you are describing on the 4x6 paper is known as microporous coating. Microporous papers (a.k.a. instant dry) are highly water resistant, but do suffer a bit when it comes to gas fading. The other type of inkjet paper is known as swellable polymer. It is more resistant to fading, but suffers from a total lack of water resistance. A slight bit of moisture will ruin the finish and if placed in water, the coating will turn to goo and wash off completely.

I wish that Costco (and Fry's) had stores in my area. Sam's and the typical electronic chains are what's available around here. Being able to get the Costco Kirkland store brand would be an improvement. Since Kirkland is a store brand, I don't see how Costco is under any obligation to provide only a single source for their product. As a result, they will contract with the vendor offering the best price and could change from time to time. From what I've read, I thought that the 8.5 x 11 paper was a microporous paper since it is supposed to be the same as Ilford Gallerie - sold at Sam's for $24 per 100 sheets.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This Kirkland 4x6 paper is not only highly resistant to water. It is completely waterproof. I dipped one of it in water for more than 10 seconds. It suffers no visually detectable damage once out of water and dries. It is exactly like Canon's Prophoto Glossy and Photopaper Plus. They all look and feel like traditional photopaper from chemical wet print processes. Traditional photopaper is resin coated. The Kirkland 8x11 professional glossy paper made in switzerland although looks and feels like Canon's as well it is not waterproof. Ink will wash off if it is dipped into water for a few seconds.

I am now curious. If such resin coated glossy photopaper is indeed microporous paper how is it possible for Canon to claim an archival ability for over 50 (or 70?) years? How about Kodak's swellable polymer glossy photopaper? They seem to have a reputation of not so archival.

Fry's is not really that good in terms of prices of printer supplies. Their printer prices are better when they are on sale. Costco does not have good supply of printers. They do not sell any Canon printers in recent months. They just have this Kirkland photopaper that is worth the trip to visit.