New Costco paper ?

monkeyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just purchased a new box of the kirkland paper and only after I got home noticed some differences from the old box.

1. The last box had "made in Switzerland" on it. The new one had "made in USA" on it.
2. The old box contained 125 sheets and the new one has 150 in it.
3. The price and the packaging were identical, that's why I didn't notice it at the store.
4. The paper weight on the old box was 68lb and the new one lists 69lb paper.

I'm still finishing up my old stuff and have yet to try the new supply. Hopefully the paper hasn't changed in some negative way. We'll see.

My Costco is in Portland Oregon by the way. Anybody notice the change yet or have any experiences with it yet?

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Kirkland has been a wonderful bargain, but this example shows you that the big-box outfits have no obligation to keep the contents of the product stable over time. They are just selling sheets of paper, and the soccer-moms don't care about slight shifts in color while they do the team pictures. I will look in my store and get a couple of boxes if it is the old stock.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I did notice the change in number of sheets in the new package when I was at Costco yesterday but I didn't look closely at the package to see that the source had changed. Maybe Costco went to the manufacturer they use for their 4x6 paper. The 4x6 paper they sell is 69 pound. It is slightly warmer in tone than their 8.5x11 glossy photo paper made in Switzerland. Hold a sample of each side-by-side and let us know what you see. If that is what they have done I can tell you that I have used their 4x6 US made paper and it does produce excellent prints.

dparadowski

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had relative buys some for me as we don't have a Costco in Buffalo, NY. I was surprised when the packaging changed and there was more paper with no cost increase. I didn't notice the manufacture was USA, not Switzerland, but the quality seems to be the same. Still pretty lightfast compared to microporus paper, and I didn't make a new profile since I didn't notice the change in manufacture, and the prints looks the same as they did before, maybe just slightly warmer, which is my preference anyways.