New Costco Paper - printing both sides

MikeH

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro100
Thanks to this board, several years ago I found the Costco/Kirkland Photo Paper.

I'm an accountant with large-format landscape photography as a hobby - for the past 3 years, I have printed a calendar for my clients with tax due dates, etc., and added my photos to the top. So the photo goes on one side,
calendar for the prior month goes on the back.

Well, I figured out pretty quick that ink jet ink will not dry on the back, but laser works fine. The pages would get some static going through the laser, so I bought some construction paper and separate each page as it comes off the laser. (The photo goes on after the calendar is printed.) But the paper would then run through the photo printer, sometimes with a little "nudging."

Well, it's nice that this new stuff in made in the USA and costs a little less (the "old" stuff was still quite a bargain!), but some lasers won't print on the back. I had to buy a new drum & toner to get the quality that I wanted. AND, it is VERY "staticy." Most of the time, I need to feed the paper into my Canon 850 by hand - the printer tries to pull several sheets through at a time. This is the case even when I wait overnight after running the paper through the laser!

BTW, I use "Calendar Creator" (an old Win 3.1 version) - works great once you figure out how the margins work - there are 2 sets of margins. One for the general paper settings, one for how you want the calendar(s) to be on the page. You can memorize rules for dates - i.e., April 15 is 1040 due date, but move it to Monday if it's on the weekend. So the 1st year is a lot of work - after that it just needs to be tweaked.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Epson glossy photo paper works very well in Canon printers and you can print the back with an inkjet. There is a very faint repeat logo on the back, but after you've printed it the logo hardly shows. I've used this paper in the past for holiday cards and no one even noticed the logo. For good quality front and back inkjet printing on a paper with a good cardstock feel, pick up a package of Staples "photo supreme double sided matte paper". I use it for all of my greeting cards. While the photo prints don't quite have the "snap" of a print on glossy paper the print quality is still very good. Staples occasionally has this paper on a two-for-one sale. You can also get the Epson paper on sale occasionally from Office Max or Office Depot.

Before Costo had its own brand paper they sold the Epson Glossy Photo paper at a slightly higher price than the Kirkland brand that replaced it on their shelves.