new cartridge ran out very quickly

gabsdot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I recently bought a new cartridge for my HP Photosmart C4780. It was a 4ml cartridge. Anyway it ran dry after about 80 copies.
This is the reply I received from the people I bought it from.

"Thank you for your e-mail.
That was an original cartridge which only contains 4ml ink (thats less than a thee spoon).
Depending on how much text you have on these 80 pages, it is not an unreasonable amount for this type of cartridge."

I think it's very unreasonable? I've never had a cartridge run out so quickly. in fact the previous one lasted for months and did hundreds of copies including photographs.

They said they'd send me a replacement but still.

Thanks
Gabs

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Depending on the color coverage 4 ml could very easily run out in 80 pages.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Someone raised this issue with me the other day re: PhotoSmart printers.

It seems HP have two types of cartridge... Standard (ie: naff all ink in them) and XL (ie: what you would normally get in a Canon cartridge).

It's basically HP standard practice in Laser toner carts, making its way into the Inkjet market... Seriously stupid approach too IMHO but there you go...

About the only good thing I can say for the practice is that it stops people buying printers and then chucking them rather than buying new printers but it's still a rip off.

gabsdot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It was a black cartridge and the copying was just kids colouring pages. I was just shocked because it was the usual price and I've never had a cartridge run out so quickly. The cartridges that came with the printer made hundreds of copies plus several photgraphs.
I've ordered the XL size now so hopefully that'll work better.

Bunny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
4 ml runs out very soon 80 days are so far good time , i have seen it running out in 60 days .

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
4 ml is nothing, even Canon pgi-220 carts have 23 ml, and they're actually smaller than the previous generation carts so 4 ml is pathetic. I'm surprised you even got that many pages printed with it. I suggest buying the xl cartridge and then refilling it. It does no harm to refill these cartridges since if you botch it and clog the cartridge or burn out print heads due to ink starvation you simply buy a new cartridge. Just press ok to acknowledge the cart is low, even after refilling, and keep printing.

The trick with these carts is to never let them run dry. So after printing for a while simply top off the cartridge. If you overfill simply blot out the excess that drips off the print head on a paper towel until ink no longer leaks out.

By the way I did refill a 4 ml cartridge before, and just for fun I wanted to see just how many solid black pages it could print before running dry. I got to only 6 pages!