new blurring on IP2600

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've had this little printer for about 4 years and haven't used OEM ink in it for several years. I just use it for text printing and it's used OEM ink, carts from Office Max, and most recently OCP ink with no problems. I use the black ink cart only. Recently it started showing horizontal blurring with the Office Max cart, which I refilled with OCP several months ago; it's been working fine up until now. I switched back to an old OEM cart after filling it with OCP and I get the same thing. These little carts have the built-in print head so it looks like the ink must be the problem but if that's the case it sure took a long time to start acting up. Any thoughts?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the black cartridge has been refilled several times, it is probably worn out, and a new OEM or "new" remanufactured cartridge should bring your printer back to good working again. I think you will be able to refill the new cartridge several times before it too fails.

But maybe the cartridge is clogged and not worn out? You might be able to open and clean it, but it is not easy and I cannot guarantee a good result. On a few occasions I have had luck to revive similar Canon and HP cartridges. Here and here are threads with links.

If the cleaning is successful the lid on the cartridge should be glued in place using 10 second glue. The use of Scotchtape is only for holding the lid in place when testing the cartridge.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The OEM cart that I replaced the Office max cart with has never been refilled before. So I replaced the Office Max cart (been refilled several times) with an OEM cart that had never been refilled before, and they both blur the same. Pretty weird. (I keep saying "blur"; it's not blurring, it's horizontal smearing.)
Edit: It looks like the printhead (cart) is rubbing the paper but I set the printer to envelope, which I assume raises the carts, and it looks absolutely the same.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload scans or photos of a nozzle check and a text document, for instance the Windows printer test page?

It seems this is not a cartridge error. The scans or photos might help in determining the error.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Scans don't show the smear at all at a normal size, that's why I haven't uploaded one already, but here's a blowup of a part of the printer test page. (I know the cart needs more ink, I'm reluctant to put more in if I'm going to have to throw it away.) The fact that the smear direction alternates really makes it look like the cart is rubbing the paper but, like I said, it does it whether it's on "envelope" or "paper" setting.
smear2.jpg

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A scan of the nozzle check is worthless.
check2.jpg

Attachments

• check2.jpg
    check2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 232

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hi,

if printing quality problems are on more than one printhead (ink tank with printhead), try to clean purge unit pads. Or even clean purge unit as a whole - pipes, pump and outlet.

Ł.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My knowledge of the purge unit is very basic, but I assume you're thinking that the pads are getting gunk on the head. If that were the case, wouldn't you have smears all over the place?

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
I cannot guarantee that problem is aggregated by purge unit, but relatively "clean" purge pads are sometimes when purge pipe is disconnected from the pump.

On the other hand it (still) may be due to ink condition inside the cartridge...
There is another method to unclog some printheads - strong stream of steam from kettle applied onto nozzles (remember not to hurt yourself and not to drop cartridge). Dry printhead connector before placing in printer.

Ł.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just ordered the Pro-100 because of the $48 deal, so I won't be spending any more time on this. My Pro9000 can be my text printer now, since I have enough OCP ink for it to last a few years.:)
Thanks for the help.