New After Market INk Test Shootout

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I know that a lot of times people go to a forum and miss a topic in another catagory-- so here it is again

12 different inks compared for Canon Printers please go to my Inktest Page at
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

In terms of printers-- its hard to beat refilling the older un-chiped Canon printers-- I now have 5 i960 printers that take BCI-6 carts and one ip3000 that takes the same. However, I gave up refilling this year because it wasn't worth my time just to save $1.50 a cart- now that I've tested the G&G carts and found the colors nearly as accurate as MIS ink its much more convenient. Details on my pages.

Bear in mind, that the pre-filled carts don't have the light-fastness of good bulk ink or Canon, but for most projects besides archival photos, this is a non issue. I've had G&G prints on my walls and refrigerators for a very long time in bright rooms and have seen no fading. Again, check my web page for lots of details regarding light fastness.

The newest Canon printers have newer carts than the BCI-6-- my guess, thought I don't know this for fact-- is that the ink and delivery of ink is exactly the same mechanical process as these-- but the new carts light up--- oh boy, just what we need-- irrelevant technology. I would suspect you could fill these carts with exactly the same bulk ink as what is used for BCI-6 carts-- and eventually I'll test this out as I now have a ip4200 at my disposal and we can test this out soon. It would suprise me greatly if Canon actually changed their ink formula for the new series of printers.

As for inexpensive pre-filled carts for series 8 (CLI-8) cartridge Canon printers-- G&G has announced that they will be making carts available for these printers this summer-- good news, since my tests show them to be the best aftermarket pre-filled carts that I tested out of 7 brands.

Again, I do not suggest the 8 color printers-- 6 is more the sufficient to get really great prints. 2 more colors is that much more headache, and certainly just a marketing ploy by Canon to sell more ink. This is like gillete making 3 blade razors, than 4 blade, now believe it or not, 5 blade razors. Come on, give me a break.

:)

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Neil, I do prefer razors with 4 blades. It is really different. Canon's ip8500 with two more colors of ink makes a significant difference from printers with only 6 colors of ink. You have to make side by side comparisons and see it yourself. Deep greens and reds are more accurate and more saturated. Well, photography is art. You don't need such color accuracy to produce fine art. But it is only better, not a marketing poly. My 8500 with 2 more colors does not give me any troubles. You can get away from only one blade. But I know the 4 blade version gets a lot of business.

Regarding CLI-8 new cartridges from Canon, lighting up is actually a very good idea in my opinion. I saw a Canon sales rep swapped two colors deliberately and they blinked. You know you have a problem ranther than finding out about it by consuming some ink down the road and have to deal with contaminedted ink in the printhead.

I have a theory. If CLI-8 ink is really so great why ip8500 remains Canon's top of the line printer for general public? WHy it has not been obsolted and replaced with a new one with all CLI-8 ink cartridges? I can only guess that CLI-8 ink's advantage is all but visible.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
neilslade said:
The newest Canon printers have newer carts than the BCI-6-- my guess, thought I don't know this for fact-- is that the ink and delivery of ink is exactly the same mechanical process as these-- but the new carts light up--- oh boy, just what we need-- irrelevant technology. I would suspect you could fill these carts with exactly the same bulk ink as what is used for BCI-6 carts-- and eventually I'll test this out as I now have a ip4200 at my disposal and we can test this out soon. It would suprise me greatly if Canon actually changed their ink formula for the new series of printers.
Actually the ink forumlation is different for the Magenta and the Photo Black.. all other colours in the iP4200 range are comparable with the originals in the iP4000.

I have heard of people filling carts with all the same inks and needing to make adjustments to the colour values so it's more than possible.

As to irrelevant technology.. it's not irrelevant to Canon.. they're making a killing using the new chip tech.. but it won't do them any favours in the long run..

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Inkjetmaster. Very interesting reading, especially when two guys who both know 10 X's as much about printers as I do, disagree on things like 6 or 8 colors, and about lighted carts....

Only one question; Did you mean to say, "Magenta and Photo Black" ? ....or was that supposed to be, "Photo Magenta and Black" ?

Just curious,
Fish

PS, A good printing buddy of mine just purchased the i9900, mainly because he wanted a larger format, unchipped printer, that used BCI carts. But of course, it just so happens that the 9900 uses 8 colors, which include the true red and true green carts. He also owns an i960. I'm anxious to get over there and see the same image printed on an 8 1/2 x 11, by both his i960 and his i9900, so I can compare them side by side.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Fish Chris said:
Only one question; Did you mean to say, "Magenta and Photo Black" ? ....or was that supposed to be, "Photo Magenta and Black" ?
Was the way I posted it the first time..

The iP4200 only has Magenta, Cyan, Black, Photo Black and Yellow.. Only the higher end photo style printers use PM and PC...

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just to clarify, some Canon printers have 2 black carts-- one for text the other for photos-- I don't know if anyone has refilled plain dye black in both carts-- I've never used anything but the regular stock black colors ever-- I print text on laser jets in general, and all my Canon printers print text fine without requiring 2 black inks. So, really....

I have seen examples of 8 color prints, and I'll give you that there is a difference- but, man oh man, you have to look pretty close. AND, if you show someone a 6 color print and ask them if it looks good, they will say YES!-- The difference in 8 and 6 color prints can only be seen when you are comparing two identical prints next to each other. You would never know just looking at each alone without a direct comparison, both are very accurate. For 99 out of 100 consumers-- non issue, save your money and buy a 6 color or less printer.

I've gone through this same kind of thing with audio equipment... manufactures keep coming up with finer and finer "better" quality. The fact is,
most of the best recordings we have learned to love were made on antiquated equipment that have much less frequency response than the latest and greatest. It's almost NEVER the equiment- its how you use it (providing its DECENT to begin with, and not sheer junk). So, I 've come to recognize overkill in other areas as well.... like printers.

I think for most people, its not even close to being a significant difference - perhaps for the professional photographer-- but then I have to ask-- if you are selling photos- you can't possibly be selling dye ink prints-- this would be unethical in my estimation- its not when Canon's are made for. Of course, I am sure some people are anyway---

:)

Also, I remember someone with an i9900 making a post that the red and green carts were barely touched. One other thing, professional 4 color separation prints-- you know, EVERYTHING that is commercially printed in magazines, and most commercial printing-- 4 colors-- not even 6.

So, doubtless people with good 8 color Canons- well they have to be delighted- because even the 4 color printers make wonderful prints.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think neilslade is right.

When you get such results with a 4 color printer, 6 colors may be safely considered "the top".

8 colors? Well, one would consider this to be for really special needs.

At 10 colors, however, I think we are talking about marketing and nothing else.