New 1500w + refillables = ink drops

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Have you tried using the L800 profile?

You should be able to access it if you install the L800 driver on your PC and then manually select it through Photoshop or similar.

Be interested to see if the hunch I had about the inks and printer bear out...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
No I have not...its on my to do list now!!!!
Found them here ( Download Profiles ) so no need to install the driver
No pressure... *looks meaningfully at the clock* ;)

Will be very interested to see how that pans out.. I shall cross the ole' fingers for you.

carlosantoniolopez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 8550, Dell C1765nfw
I'm definitely interested, too! Good luck and thanks for finding the profiles :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Actually here ( http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/which-refillable-cartridges-for-epson.4942/ ) mikling mentions the two hole design and i believe he is right because the ink hole plug does indeed seem to plug the outer and inner hole. I believe the cyan cartridge is defective...it somehow works after 2-3 clean cycles but whenever it rests on the parking posistion for more than 3-4 hours somehow ink leaks out. Too much/too little ink is not the reason this happens. I am expecting new cartridges soon since at least the cyan is obviously defective and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

OK listen up. Beyond the two holes. There are also two valves on both types of refillable cartridges. Both these valves operate in apparent contradiction to each other. On the upper side, there is a checkvalve but is is there to prevent overpressure due to temp changes to the high. On the bottom there is also another checkvalve to prevent backflow up the air intake serpentine.
Sometimes the check valve on the top is not seated properly. This checkvalve is actually a pressure outlet valve. When pressure builds up inside the cartridge, it vents. Why.....so that ink does not leak out through the nozzles but is released to atmospheric pressure in the air intake valve. Without this, you'd always be getting ink pooling on the bottom of the printhead with temp rises in the room.

The solution to your problem and the problem is the check/pressure valve is not seating properly and is leaking air slowly and not holding vacuum to prevent the ink from dripping through the printhead nozzles. To reseat the valve is easy.

Remove as much ink as you can from the cartridge. Get a slip luer syringe. With the air vent plug open. Stick the syringe in the refill hole and pull quickly. The air flow and negative pressure will pull the flapper check valve closed and reseat it. The contstruction is not a precise thing and sometimes the flapper is not seated properly and this will usually reseat it. If you pull too slowly, the normal air intake will work and the overpressure valve will not seat. So pull with one quick pull.

Refill the cart and use.

Last edited:

Ionlab

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF3540
Thank you for the additional info...( i had to look up what a luer slip syringe actually was, but i am a sucker for terminology ). TBH i cannot see any flaps or valves in the construction of these cartridges. Especially in the rx520 cartridge that does no feature a micron filter it seems like adjacent compartments of various sizes connected by small and windy passageways...I do not know what is under the side label as it seems able to expand and contract...
Have switched the cyan cartridge and the problem seems now fixed...

I have printed a normal test pic using epson premium glossy photo paper and selecting a different icm from inside the printer driver, using the sp1500 profile and then the L800 profile (for that paper).
To my eyes the Sp1500 profile looks better (especially the reds).

I have also ordered a ciss sytem from china since i am wasting too much ink on priming because the cartridges do not empty at the same time.....lucky me that the first thing i did is install a waste ink bottle because wicreset reports that i am already at 15% usage of the waste kit!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 279

carlosantoniolopez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 8550, Dell C1765nfw
The 1500 profile looks a lot better to me, too, which is a little disappointing. But - without having a Claria ink image to compare it with - the 1500 profile isn't bad.